Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...or do you have to be an authorized Trane dealer/installer?

you need to be a dealer to buy the equipment. How did you make out with your new heat pump????

It all depends.
    Here in Raleigh, NC, ARS will sell it to Joe Homeowner right over the counter!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

One word....... Ebay

There is even a 25 ton commercial unit on there right now

You can get just about anything you want however, most major brands will not honor warranties and any reputable contractor will charge you for any repairs warranty or not. I could probably buy all the dental equipment I want but......
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

The reason that I'm asking is that last month I had a new Trane XL16i system installed. Since my HVAC contractor was able to get the system from a reputable Trane wholesaler I assumed that he was Trane authorized.

After I had the new system installed I informed the HVAC contractor that I was interested in a Trane extended warranty. A few days ago I got this email from my HVAC contractor:

- - - - - - -
    Still working with [wholesaler name witheld] to officially become a dealer and qualifying for offering the extended labor warranty. We are at the point of determining hourly labor rates so I am close but not quite there yet.
    - - - - - - -

I have emailed the wholesaler twice asking them to confirm if my HVAC contractor was Trane authorized when they installed my new system and they haven't responded. So let me fine tune my questions.

Can a Trane wholesaler knowingly sell Trane equipment to any HVAC contractor?

Originally posted by pipedope
    you need to be a dealer to buy the equipment. How did you make out with your new heat pump????
    It appears to be working fine, but I'm still nervous about the comments posted regarding the quality of the install. Thanks for asking.

Don't ever kid yourself. At any given time, anyone can buy any brand of equipment they want. That's because there are individuals out there (and companies) that insist on treating ours as if it is a commodity industry. The result? Instances where Joe Blow can purchase any top brand of equipment for a price. Sad, but true.

Originally posted by kcrossley
    The reason that I'm asking is that last month I had a new Trane XL16i system installed. Since my HVAC contractor was able to get the system from a reputable Trane wholesaler I assumed that he was Trane authorized.

After I had the new system installed I informed the HVAC contractor that I was interested in a Trane extended warranty. A few days ago I got this email from my HVAC contractor:

- - - - - - -
    Still working with [wholesaler name witheld] to officially become a dealer and qualifying for offering the extended labor warranty. We are at the point of determining hourly labor rates so I am close but not quite there yet.
    - - - - - - -

I have emailed the wholesaler twice asking them to confirm if my HVAC contractor was Trane authorized when they installed my new system and they haven't responded. So let me fine tune my questions.

Can a Trane wholesaler knowingly sell Trane equipment to any HVAC contractor?
    You should be able to find an authorized trane dealer that would sell you an extended warranty if you sign on to a bi-annual maintenance contract.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Can anyone buy a trane?

Yes, but you better have a BIG back yard for the tracks!!

This week I have hade nothing but problems like this with people that seem to be looking for problems after the fact.so excuse me if I am a little short. Why did you not ask this question before you signed the check or hired your contractor? Why not contact the wholesaler for a name of a trane dealer to sell you the extended warranty. Seems to me the contractor sold you good equipment that is working well.Everybody wants to be a victim. I don't sell mfg warranties. I think they are a rip. If a customer wants one I sell it and my company does the work and keeps the money.

The reason I'm asking is because I had problems with my install and I believe the reason is because my HVAC contractor was unfamiliar with Trane systems. I did contact the wholesaler prior to the equipment being installed and they said that my HVAC contractor was a certified Trane installer. Now I'm finding out after the fact that I was either lied to or mislead.

If the install would have went well I wouldn't have been the wiser. But because it didn't I'm left with this pit in my stomach. Most of the issues are clearly cosmetic, but fixing them at this point would involve a tremendous amount of work. Work, that quite frankly the installer is unwilling to do.

What's worse is that I can't even seek the help of Trane since their tech support rep works for the wholesaler. If he acknowledges my problem he implicates HIS customer.

http://homepage.mac.com/kcrossley/PhotoAlbum27.html

Those pictures belong in the wall of shame.
    No liqiud tight conduit from pull box to heat pump and no conduit from supply to pull box. It would appear that no permit was pulled, was there? Have you had this inspected? The brazing and insulation leaves alot to be desired and the filter can and transition are pathetic. Was your choice on contractors low bid? Did you research them before making your decision. Good luck with getting these items cleaned up, call your local planning and development office and ask them to re-inspect this if there even was a permit pulled.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast