Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by schmuck
    I'd just like to know what jackass sat in an office and designed that stupid set up Carrier uses with thier controls. You have to take the whole top off to work on the thing.
    HUH?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

The Carrier units that I have worked on as of late have this very small section where all of the controls are stuffed into. You have to look in from the side to see what little you can. The board is laid down horrizontally and there is no way to troubleshoot unless you have unusually small hands. The only way I see to work on the thing is to take the whole top off so you get to it all. Only problem is by the time you do that the fan and everything is totally open. I just dont like the way it is set up. The Trane setup is lots better in my book. On the Trane you take off the access door and all of the controls are right there in front of your face with a plenty of room to get in there and troubleshoot. I used Trane as an example but alot of the other units have this same great acess to the controls. I reckon my hands are just to big. Please excuse my rant.

waht unit are you talking about, I have no trouble w/ carrier and a lot w/ trane

Go with carrier, if both contractors are equal.If not, go with the best contractor.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

Last one I worked on was a Dual Fuel. Board was bad and the installer didnt convert it to LP and it was SOO-TED. I will say though, I do like the ease of getting to the compressor and RV and the lines on the Carrier but I think I will stick to Trane.

Thumbs down

The part about the comment "Your question has been asked hundreds of times" is there is a major difference when purchasing other appliances and automobiles. The first being, one can peruse Consumer Reports to obtain an unbiased testing report on these entities; second, one can see the price of the items. I cannot understand why HVAC units are shrouded in secrecy when price is involved. I have posted several times on various forums, attempting to obtain a satisfactory answer as to why there is a $3000 difference in the same unit, the same warranty, and the same type installation. To date, I am not satisfied with the answers. There always to be some obscure reason for which the consumer cannot find an answer. I learned one thing in commercial sales; that being: "The advantage you have, 'you know the price and the consumer doesn't'" Just another case for "caveat emptor". Not being acerbic, just confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12