Thread: CARRIER VS TRANE

Post Likes
    I am looking to replace my 12-year old Goodman Performance 90 gas furnace (cracked heat exchanger). I've narrowed my choice to either a Carrier Comfort 92 or Trane XR-90. As the secondary heat exchanger on my old unit failed, I am particularly interested in the material used for the secondary heat exchanger on the two units- Serpentuff polypropolene-coated for the Carrier and Stainless Steel for the Trane. Should I be concerned that the polypropolene-coated heat exchanger might go the way of my current system? Or will it perform comparably to the stainless steel?

I'm also considering replacing my AC at the same time (same age as the furnace). Am I being premature in replacing the AC or does it make sense to take care of both at the same time? If I do decide to replace the AC, should the coil material be a consideration (copper in Carrier Performance 13 vs. aluminum in Trane XL14i)? Also, I believe the Trane uses a scroll compressor; any idea whether the Carrier does also?

Finally, any other info I should consider in deciding between the two? Consumer reports gives Trane the nod regarding reliability; is the Carrier a satisfactory alternative? Any comments on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

P3AEDO

Post Likes

Your question has been asked hundreds of times at this site. So many times that an article was composed to answer folks like you. Here is the article

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=38790

Norm

Post Likes
    Trane good, Carrier bad, buy Trane!

My opinion is not in any way biased by the fact that the company I work for only sells Trane, really!

Seriously, both manufacturers put out quality products, have strong distribution and dealer networks and have great techincal support behind thier dealers, go with the best contractor.
    This isn't like purchasing a car or a TV where the operation of the product is not affected buy who you buy it from.
    The quality and reliability of an HVAC system is almost totally dependant on the quality of the installation and correct application.

Post Likes
    Carrier, carrier carrier, use the mvp, infinity and tdb, expensive but it will be the ones you have to buy

Post Likes

p3aedo

In answer to your question, I work on all brands,and from my personal opinon Trane would be the way to go.The local Carrier warehouse we have to deal with rapes us on parts cost when we have to use o.e.m.ones.I don't know if it's a regional thing or what.But to be honest we aren't a Carrier dealer and that may be why.It seems their parts cost more compared to otherbrands that we don't sell either.Keep in mind that many components in most all H.V.A.C. equipment is made by others(Honeywell for instance)so that should level the playing field, The way and quality of the install should be a big consideration.Get as many references on the installing contracter you can.Hope this helps.

[Edited by always learnin on 03-20-2005 at 03:53 PM]

Post Likes
    what wharehouose?
    Im out of Louisville and occasionally use Bryant to get parts and hate us but the prices atrent to bad, we are Carrier deals, and they are the best

Post Likes
    at 12 years it would pay to replace the intire system and any problems you had with the old system should be dicussed at this time to and taken care of if possible
    trane and carrier have been arround for years and will be for years to come. they are both good units and either one will do you right. find a contractor with a good rep and one you trust. the units are good and both reliable as long as the contractor is to

Post Likes
    I'd just like to know what jackass sat in an office and designed that stupid set up Carrier uses with thier controls. You have to take the whole top off to work on the thing.

Post Likes
    Only one choice for me TRANE

Post Likes
    First thing is to find out the early termination of the system you have.when thats done have the company that you feel better about.

Post Likes

Re: p3aedo

Originally posted by always learnin
    The local Carrier warehouse we have to deal with rapes us on parts cost when we have to use o.e.m.ones.
    No way they only wanted to charge me $550.00 for a 20 ton package unit blower motor last year, I did not buy it there for two reasons they did not have it and I forget the KY went to Grainger saved enough there to pay a truck note.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    you need to call the GM at
    koch in evensville, they have the lowest prices in the state, some one screwed you, call him and bitch

Post Likes
    I would highly recommend the Trane. As far as your AC unit, I would go ahead and replace that now too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by schmuck
    I'd just like to know what jackass sat in an office and designed that stupid set up Carrier uses with thier controls. You have to take the whole top off to work on the thing.
    HUH?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Post Likes
    The Carrier units that I have worked on as of late have this very small section where all of the controls are stuffed into. You have to look in from the side to see what little you can. The board is laid down horrizontally and there is no way to troubleshoot unless you have unusually small hands. The only way I see to work on the thing is to take the whole top off so you get to it all. Only problem is by the time you do that the fan and everything is totally open. I just dont like the way it is set up. The Trane setup is lots better in my book. On the Trane you take off the access door and all of the controls are right there in front of your face with a plenty of room to get in there and troubleshoot. I used Trane as an example but alot of the other units have this same great acess to the controls. I reckon my hands are just to big. Please excuse my rant.

Post Likes
    waht unit are you talking about, I have no trouble w/ carrier and a lot w/ trane

Post Likes
    Go with carrier, if both contractors are equal.If not, go with the best contractor.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

Post Likes
    Last one I worked on was a Dual Fuel. Board was bad and the installer didnt convert it to LP and it was SOO-TED. I will say though, I do like the ease of getting to the compressor and RV and the lines on the Carrier but I think I will stick to Trane.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

The part about the comment "Your question has been asked hundreds of times" is there is a major difference when purchasing other appliances and automobiles. The first being, one can peruse Consumer Reports to obtain an unbiased testing report on these entities; second, one can see the price of the items. I cannot understand why HVAC units are shrouded in secrecy when price is involved. I have posted several times on various forums, attempting to obtain a satisfactory answer as to why there is a $3000 difference in the same unit, the same warranty, and the same type installation. To date, I am not satisfied with the answers. There always to be some obscure reason for which the consumer cannot find an answer. I learned one thing in commercial sales; that being: "The advantage you have, 'you know the price and the consumer doesn't'" Just another case for "caveat emptor". Not being acerbic, just confused.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in