Thread: Age of Sears Units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I believe these are made by Whirlpool but can someone tell me the age.

Furnace Model 867-765822 Serial H2083 7312

AC Model 769-816420 Serial 204-167487.... iffy on serial number as hard to read to close to house.

Thanks

Post Likes
    With Preston's guide can narrow it down to between 1972-75. My guess according to that serial # would be 1974 (condensing unit). None of those numbers came up under Whirlpool.

[Edited by lonnirat on 03-19-2005 at 06:42 PM]
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Post Likes

When age is needed on system, get the numbers off of compressor. Date is usually in serial number.

Post Likes

Talking dont laugh?

Whats Prestons guide?

Post Likes
    It is a book to look those numbers up.
    I think it is available online,but I dont know the address
    Do a search here or google it.

Post Likes
    As I recall 867 indicates Heil/Quaker.

769 indicates Addison.

Back in the 70's and well into the 80's, there were only 2 sources of CAC (and furnaces) for Sears. Heil/Quaker was their first line. And Addison their second line. (although I don't remember Addison making any furnaces for Sears, just AC units)

Actually us Sears techs always thought Sears had it backwards. Those Addison units were real tanks---much more solidly built than the Heil/Quakers.

As further info--

Sears had 2 sources for window shakers and refrigerators also.

Whirlpool was their first line. ---indicated by 106.

Gibson was their second line (the real Gibsons before bought out by White-Westinghouse and later on too)---indicated by 253. --

--The old Gibsons were actually very well made--can you imagine using a copper evaporator on their reefers?----unfortunately Gibson did believe in using the first pass of their condenser act as a stile sweat heater, made of steel, which tended to rust out and leak shortly after the 5 year system warrantee was up. (you wonder why they didn't take some of that copper wasted on the evaporator and use it for the style heater?---but they never did)

Back to the subject at hand. I used to be able to tell date of production from model and serial #'s on Sears Centrals. Maybe it will come back to me.

I still remember how to do it on their reefers and window shakers, if that is of any interest.

[Edited by ombre on 03-20-2005 at 03:41 AM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tom bacurin
    I believe these are made by Whirlpool but can someone tell me the age.

Furnace Model 867-765822 Serial H2083 7312

AC Model 769-816420 Serial 204-167487.... iffy on serial number as hard to read to close to house.

Thanks
    OK Here goes. My best guesses.

Am almost certain about the model year of that Heil/Quaker. (867). Sears liked to use the 1st and 3rd digit (after the source #. ---as an indicator of model year on almost all their products. Therefore the Heil/Quaker is a 1975 model.

That Addison (769) I'm not sure about. Using Sears usual way of doing it. ---would make it a 1986 model---and I don't think Sears was even still using Addison as a source in 1986. If so, it must have been one of the last of the Addison tanks.

PS---going to hedge that almost certain part about the Heil/Quaker. That H2083 might just mean the 20th week of 1983 as production date. Sears liked to show date of production within serial #'s too.

Now I've just confused the issue. ---Sorry, this old fart's memory ain't so good anymore.

[Edited by ombre on 03-20-2005 at 03:47 AM]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in