Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Installed a Trane sys. with hot & chilled water coils w/
    3 way valves (VC6930 x13611040020) On start up the valve
    opened on call for cooling but wouldnt close. control (zn520) is sending correct signal. Has anyone seen this problem and is just the actuator and internal parts replacable without removing valve body? Plumber lost my
    Valve literature. These are 3 way valves(3/4 in) with a black 3x5 actuator with a white position indicator on the side (all plastic). Do have strainer up stream. water and straine are clean. Is info on this valve available on
    Tranes website?

Its a Honeywell valve. Check there website for info. Trane doesnt make there own valves. This is the oddball actuator that screws to the valve?
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Does the actuator head come off with a 1/4 turn and then pull off? If you look inside is there a grey plastic around the valve cartridge? If so we had some that were sticking in the open position and had to replace.

Thanks,didnt know it was honeywell, was late friday when
    this happened,didnt take it apart yet. Bill,were you able to leave the valve body in place?

No need to remove the valve, it should unscrew off the body. Im pretty sure you can just buy the actuator.

i would check and make sure that you are getting voltage to
    actuator or to see if valve is stuck then replace actuator or valve or the whole thing.

Hi AC/DC, we have had similar expierence with this style of valve, Actually repeat failures with the valve not seating properly, I called the Honeywell tech line to see if they had been expierencing problems, although they would not outright admit a large scale problem exist, they said some problems have been reported with the cartridges swelling. They attributed this to poor water quality or chemical treatment of the water.

Regardless the solution is to replace the cartdridge, fairly simple repair, isolate the valve, removing the actuator, dissasemble valve and replace the cartdridge.

We purchased several of the cartdridges as a stock item (only in the $20.00 range)

Note: be sure to inspect and clean the valve body prior to installing the new cartdridge.

GB

Sorry I should add, my previous post is assuming that the valve actuator operation has been verified to be normal.

You can replace the actuator without shutting down the water. We had repeat failures of the valves. As was posted the cartridge swells and it sticks open. We replaced with a differant valve. If replacing cartridge I believe you need a special wrench.

It is the Honeywell branded valve I can tell you there is a major problem with them sticking even if they won't admit it straight out. As far as I've seen with the new "prototype" catidges the problem still isn't fixed. I've replaced around 200 of the catridges thus far with different catridges with newer style O rings and have not seen the problem totally go away yet. Only fool proof option is to replace the valve with a different brand. I will also tell you that it has occured on every job I have thus far with these valves at one time or another.

[Edited by willf650 on 03-20-2005 at 02:48 PM]

Wow! Thats unbelievable Will, This Valve is part of a
    Trane piping package and failed on start up so I'll be
    forced to use same brand untill warranty expires. Thanks
    for your help everyone. That direct link was helpful
    Absrbrtek. I see how it comes apart now...press a tab,
    pess down & turn counter clockwise & actuator comes off
    Didnt say much about cartridge or special tool.
    Sad Honeywell wont fess up and correct the issues with
    these valves. I will certainly use a different brand
    if given the choice

ac/dc, When we orgionally installed valves our piper put unions on all three connections. It was a little more money but it saved us when we had to replace valves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast