Blower compatibility -Heatilator BF36A?

Is a Heatilator model BF36A wood-burning fireplace compatible with an aftermarket blower? This is a 1985 fireplace. I called Heatilator, and they said they no longer manufacture a blower for this model.

Also, is it safe to use a fireback in this fireplace? I have no doors installed.

Finally, how efficient is a blower in circulating heat from a wood fire? This fireplace is located in a large room with cathedral ceilings and a ceiling fan.

Thanks for advice and suggestions.

I am pretty sure that fireplace is a decorative / recreational fireplace. Especially since you have said there are no doors on it. If you want to get a real net heat return into your house form burning wood you will need to replace it. I would not waste any money on blowers or accessories.

more info

Thanks for the info. Actually, it appears that this fireplace was manufactured to use a blower kit. I looked again, and found the ID plate on the fireplace which lists these OEM part numbers as accessories:

GD36BF - doors
    FK25A - blower fan kit
    AK36 - outside air kit

Heatilator said they don't make these accessories any longer, so I'm looking for an aftermarket blower kit that would work.

Any leads would be appreciated. Also, would like to hear any comments on the efficiency of Heatilator blowers. Are they worth the time, trouble and expense?

Cool

This was a basic cheap circulating woodburner. It is not worth it trying to install convection blowers--you will get cold air circulating. Save your money for an EPA certified hybrid half fireplace/ half woodstove or not at all. You fireplace has outlived its useful life. It's now time to replace it.

I never said it did not have a blower available, I said not to waste your money because it wont do much good.

Also, would like to hear any comments on the efficiency of Heatilator blowers.
    In relation to what? They do not change the efficiency of the fireplace, which is not rated because it would be near 0% or negative. Blowers do not have efficiency ratings, they just move air around. They assist the natural convection that already occurs, and on this type of fireplace, they barely assist it, like a light breeze.

Are they worth the time, trouble and expense?
    NO

The fireplace you have is NOT engineered to put out heat, its sole purpose is to build a fire just for the simple enjoyment of having a fire.

Thanks for the responses. They helped answer my question regarding the cost/benefit return of upgrading my fireplace with a blower accessory. Sounds like adding a blower is not worth it.

FK25A Fan Kit

Did you ever manage to find a FK25A fan kit. I am looking for one to fit my HF42A.

rbsmith, same thing applies as above, don't waste your money.

If you still insist, IF the fan is still available, any Heatilator dealer can order it for you.

No fan kit

Sorry, bud, that is not correct. The FK25A fan kit has not been available from Heatilator for over a decade. If you thinks someone can get it, please give me contact info.

What is not correct? I said "IF the fan is still available"

I doubt you can get it from anyone then, unless you find a used one online someplace.

Well, we've come full circle.

Let me know if you spot anything. I've been trying for over a decade. I'll buy the whole unit, firebox and fan kit.

In that case, buy a brand new unit and be done with it.