Thread: Hot Air Rising

Hybrid View

I own a 15' by 45' 2 bdrm townhouse which I rent out.
    Although I just installed a new heat pump, duirng the summer the upstairs is very hot. I've had to install window units and ceiling fans to keep tenants happy. My heating/cooling
    maintenance man says that the upstairs is hot because there is not "return" upstairs. So, the hot air rises and stays upstairs. He's proposing installing a return in a 2nd floor closet located over the heat pump on the first floor. He says this will remove the hot air from upstairs and make it cooler.
    I'd appreciate hearing an expert opinion on this suggestion and a reasonable cost to pay for such work. Thanks.

Cost? Forum rules say we can't really give them, but on top of that it really depends on where everything is located. Since we can't see it, it'd likely be either a few hundred to a few thousand. Just remember, the easier it is to get to, the cheaper it will be.

Can't say for sure, but the return should help. If the air is being sent up there it has to have an easy way to get back down to the unit right? Also make sure the duct that is going up to the 2nd floor is sized properly (along with the duct on 1st for that matter too), and double check there are no dampers in that duct, or if there are, that they are open.

Sorry about the rules violation. I'm a newbee.
    You seem to confirm what my technician is saying.
    Thanks for the feedback.

The return should help, but nothing is going to prevent a temperature difference from floor to floor. Also, keeping the blower operational when it is really hot will keep the warmer air from stratifying to the upper level.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV