Confused Bryant Evolution furnace settings

Hi,

About 2 months ago I got a new Bryant modulating furnace with the Evolution thermostat installed in my home and I'm wondering whether there is a setting on the furnace or thermostat that could make the inducer start in the low speed instead of medium.
    I've noticed that the inducer always goes to medium when it starts the cycle even if a minute later when the fans starts will go to low speed. This starting sequence is noisy during the night and wakes me up almost every night. Later on when it goes from low to medium there is no noise.

Currently all settings on thermostat are at default values.
    I'm wondering whether changing the staging parameter value to furnace from system in thermostat's advanced settings setup menu, would make a difference?

Thank you in advance, *
    Adrian

Are you actually looking at the furnace operating parameters? You can find them by holding down the advanced button for 10 seconds.

I think what you are referring to is that your furnace probably fires up in the middle stage to quickly bring your heat exchanger up to speed, but before the blower comes on, it drops to low stage.

There is one thing you might try and see if it helps. You have the ability to lock your furnace in low stage. I doubt that will affect the startup sequence, but you can try it. You certainly do not have any control over the inducer blower, that will run at the speed required for proper and safe combustion in any stage.

Attached is the install manual (your company should have left you with a copy). Look at page 9 for the staging info. Don't mess with any settings that you don't understand.

Depending on your heating needs and style of sleep, you could also try setting back your thermostat when you go to sleep. That should give you at least a couple hours without the furnace firing up. So if your problem is going to sleep, that will help.

Other than that, have your installing company take a look. There may be a way to cut down on transmission of the noise.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for reply commerce48!

While checking the status in the advanced menu I've noticed there is a connection between the inducer rpm and burner's stage. As soon as I get home I'll try to lock the furnace in low stage.

Since you seem to know so much about the Evolution system can I ask you why there are only 2 settings (4 and 6)on the cycles per hour?
    I've noticed that sometimes at night after stopping only for a few minutes it starts again and that seems to be done just to have the 4 cycles/hour.

This is the least noisy furnace I've found and believe me I researched a lot of them. The furnace I replaced was making a lot of noise at return and that's why I wanted a 25 ft looped duct between the furnace and return grille for the new one.
    During the day I can't hear this furnace but at night when it starts at about 2am wakes me up. That's because the furnace is installed in a room next to my bedroom.

Also, I got the B version of the thermostat

I don't think there is any functional difference between the B and C version except for zoning, and potential compatibility with a furnace and inverter based AC/HP Carrier/Bryant are coming out with later this year.

I'm only two weeks into owning an Evolution furnace, and actually I think the stat is a bit clunky, both mechanically (cheap buttons and creaky plastic construction) and control wise. And just out of date frankly. I have the same question about the cycle per hour functionality and options myself. I believe that it is a limit of four or six cycles per hour, not a minimum, so it should not be behaving the way you say. Mine doesn't.

There is a connection between the inducer speed and the stage. However, that is basically fixed, and if it does require preheating in the middle stage, there is not going to much you can do to reduce that startup noise. But it is certainly worth a try to lock it to low and see if it behaves differently.

This is a long shot, but if you have the time set wrong on your stat, it could be doing the daily check in the middle of the night - which I believe has the blower going to high, and perhaps the inducer as well. I haven't noticed this daily check yet myself.

Two more potential cures: earplugs, or if your dealer promises 100% satisfaction as many Carrier/Bryant dealers do, you can have them remove it and try a different furnace. A bit drastic though.

Finally, if the noise is coming from next room and not from the return or supply, you can try mounting the furnace on isolating feet, and adding sound insulation to that mechanical room.