Hybrid View

Hmm

got a call from a customer who said his heat pump was running extra during the night(on heat mode) and if my cleaning,made the unit run longer. trane system 6 plus yrs old and a honeywell t-stat. in the past t-stat was a problem for another customer when unit ran excessivley. customer did not want me to return for fear of costs. could my cleaning have any way hindered the problem

Who knows? But if you just got done cleaning their coils, don't you think it's incumbent upon you to go check it out free-of-charge? As a sign of good will, of course.

need more imput. anything is posible
    when did you clean it. what did you do when you say cleaning.

he said he will try to reprogram the times and try it again

Which coils did you clean...indoors, outdoors, or both?

Reason I ask is that if coils were pretty dirty, another tech before you may have adjusted the charge (either trying to bring up suction in cooling mode or lower head in heating mode) rather than clean the coils and then check the charge.

If you cleaned the indoor coil and someone before you had lowered the charge because they thought the head pressure was too high in heat mode, now you might be running short because the coil is clean and proper airflow is re-established.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

i cleaned the condenser coils(extreamly dirty), and he said no one has ever had to service his system. thanks for the replys

chances are nothing is wrong. if it was a cold night it would run longer. cleaning the coil if that dirty could have brought the charge back to normal and he is feeling a differance. possible the charge is high or low
    would not hurt to go back and just take a look. if for no other reason except to set the coustomer at ease and biuld his trust. word of mouth is and can be your best friend
    a 10 min cal mixed in with 6 or 8 calls wont hurt anyone
    if something is wrong and has nothing to do with your maintanence you do the repair and chare for it
    a happy coustomer will tell 10 friends about you. an unhappy coustomer will tell a hundred friends about you
    witch one is more cost effective

Hmm

Same sorta thing happen to me last cooling season. Trane 3-ton outdoor coils very dirty, had to clean twice. After that system never did run right. When OAT was above 85 the sys would run and never satisfy a 76 degree setting. I cleaned evap coil, changed all filters, SH (piston metering device) checked good.

HO wanted to know what I did. HO said it ran good before you sold me on a spring PM.

I evacuated charge, 500 micron vac and weight in factory virgin charge with extra for line set.

Still same problem, DT across evap coil good for WB.

I told him sorry I give up.

STUD

thanks for the replys,stud and tinkocker i'll try swing by this week and check up on his unit, but the symptom dose remind me of another customer with a bad t-stat