Hybrid View

Angry

I live in Hickory, NC

I have a 1979 Bard 48HPQ2/B48EHQ Split Heat Pump Unit that appears the Blower Motor is having a hard time starting up. It seems to spin freely when I spin it, and if I help it spin, it will start up and sound and operate normally. It is a 1/2 HP unit Bard part number 8106-013 which is new Bard part number 8106-027 according to the Bard site. When it kicks on it sounds like a loud hum until I help it start.

Any idea on what needs to be done and what range of cost I am looking at?

It could be the motor or the capacitor, but hard to say for sure which with the info you have given from a keyboard. Prices are hard to discuss on a forum such as this because they vary from place to place and we have folks posting from all over the country. Your best bet would be to pay the cost of a service call to find out what the problem is, how much it will be to repair and any other recommendations the service tech might make. And yeah, at 26 years old it is time to at least consider something more economical to operate. You'd save money in the long run.

Bobby

Thanks,

I appologise to the board for asking about cost. When I went to the rules from the link after signing up, it didnt show any, so I did'nt know. The link from the email I received did bring me to the rules, but I had already posted.

Try a cap. change

Look at the capacitor rating, you need to mach up the microfarad rating, and get either the same or a higher voltage rating. This will not be to much but if the capacitor doesnt do it, the motor may have to be replaced.