Thread: Rebublic home warranty

Post Likes
    I am purchacing a home with a 22yr old Rheem ac unit and furnace. I am considering a home warranty from Republic. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether these warranties are worth the money. The homeowner is willing to provide the warranty, but if these warranties are rip -offs I would rather have the money to apply to a new system. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

Post Likes

Investment

I personally don't care about 'extended' warranties.

What is ORHP charging for the warranty? What do you get? How old is the house(22 years)?

If you get the warranty and the unit goes out, it is almost a guarantee that their contractor will put in the cheapest equipment out there. On the other hand, if you take the money and bank it, after a few years you'll have enough to replace the unit with the best one for your house.

It's your money.

Post Likes
    Those warranties are a rip-off. You'll find out that if you have a problem, there won't be any contractors in your area that work for the insurance company.

Post Likes

Post Old Republic Home Protection

Originally posted by toyotatech
    I am purchacing a home with a 22yr old Rheem ac unit and furnace. I am considering a home warranty from Republic. Does anyone have any recommendations on whether these warranties are worth the money. The homeowner is willing to provide the warranty, but if these warranties are rip -offs I would rather have the money to apply to a new system. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
    Toyotatech

I'm a network contractor for Old Republic, they are a reputable Home Warranty Company. The policy covers normal wear and tear it does not cover issues of lack of maintenance like a dirty evaporator coil, animal damaged equipment, lack of service.

Have your equipment completely gone over by a HVAC contarctor ot jsut a Home Inspector, they only think they knwo what thier looking for with thier infared thermometers.

One of the most frequent issues I come across is a homeowners request for service having only been in the home a week to find pre exisitng conditions not covered.

So be safe have the equipment proffesionally inspected and then maintain it. In the event you have a failure, you're Home Warranty company will repair or replace it.

Just keep in mind it is a warranty against normal wear and tear. So many times a home owner feels because their system is old, I shuold condem it and replacwe it. If that were the case, there wouldn't be Home Warranty Companies.

There are certain non covered cost associated with a system replacement. I recommend inthe event you suffer a failure that requires system repalcement and there are non covered issues, such as code upgrades, ect.; that you understand what the contractor is charging for and that he does it.

If your unhappy with the service cntractor call OR, they are there to assist you..

An example is a current work order... We've replaced a rooftop packaged heatpump and reducted the entire house. The old system was 30+ years old not feasable or economically smart to repair it and the duct work was sad, sad...

I'm happy to be working for Old Republic they are one of the better warranty Companies out there. I would invite you to visit their website http://www.orhp.com/homeowners/index.cfm
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes
    My vote is for take the money. A 22 year old Rheem, day's are numbered. Home Warranty's are BS. I have worked for Old Republic, a few years ago. They are no different than the others. The list of things they don't pay for is longer than the list that they will pay. In any given area, you will find very few contractor's that will work for warranty company's. When temperatures are at extremes, you will get very poor service. You will not establish a relationship with a contractor, (which you will need sooner or later)because they wiil seend your service request to whom ever has the lowest cost, at that time. Good luck with your home purchase.

Post Likes

Post Bad advice ...

Originally posted by wornout
    My vote is for take the money. A 22 year old Rheem, day's are numbered.
    The homeowner is pretty smart to start with. His system is 22 years old, the seller isn't going to replace it!

On the other hand his Home Warranty not only provides for his central ac system, it covers plumbing electrical too. In a hosue 22 years old there are going to be repair issues without a doubt.

this plan is going to cost the seller $300 - $400 dollars...
    • Lets say Mr. homeowners 22 year old furnace needs a blower motor, done deal, covered 100%, home owners just saved $300+
    • Gas valve fails, igniton system, covered 100%, hoem owners just saved $300+
    • Heat exchanger is determined to be bad, 22 year old furnace replaced. Possible non covered cost might be sheet metal transition, disposal of equipment, paln covers any code upgrade. Home owners cost possible $200 - 300, home owner just saved $1500

The benifits of having a home warranty far out way your advice...

I average 5 calls a day for OR with the average of $130 per call annually. And thats just the average during the season we might run 10+ calls 7 days, do the math. Before I did warranty work I was paying out several thousand dollars amonth in advertising. Now I pay zero...

I am not bragging but my 1099 for OR has me smiling all the way to the bank.

We do quaility work on all our jobs Home Warranty or Private!

And you are so wrong on not gaining a customer, my custmers upgrade all the time to higher efficent equiment. And with the new legislation requiring 13 seer and matching equipment, homeowners have it made.

I think you are one of few that cannot work under the conditions of a home warranty company. I work for a fair and marketable labor rate and were doign quite well.

ToyotaTech is smart for asking the questions he did, it is just unfortuante that your post is ill advised.

ToyotaTech visit Old Republic Web Site, call them... Get the policy maintain your equipment. You have much to gain and nothign to lose!

AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in