Thread: Design Question

I live in NW Montana and am building a new home, 2900 sq.ft main level, 1200 daylight basement. We have only electric or LP, no natural gas available. Our electric rates are some of the lowest in US - 4.5 cents per KWH. What is the best heating system to consider? High eff. LP furnace? or Heat Pump? If HP, what should I look for in ratings?

Chances are, heat pump & electric backup would be best if you have juicy electric rates. LP is normally the most expensive way to heat so even dual fuel might not be wise.

Probably look at 12 SEER units but also look at the heating HSPF to see how efficient the unit is in the winter. Some 12 SEER stuff isn't much more efficient in heating than a cheaper 10 SEER.

Thanks! I assume HPSF is the heating efficiency rating and SEER is the cooling rating?

Originally posted by donsig
    Thanks! I assume HPSF is the heating efficiency rating and SEER is the cooling rating?
    You assume correct.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Wink Donsig

Bteween HP & LP, would definetely go with Heat Pump
    Otherwise I agree with Baldy

Geothermal is also an option you may want to consider
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

energy

Originally posted by donsig
    I live in NW Montana and am building a new home, 2900 sq.ft main level, 1200 daylight basement. We have only electric or LP, no natural gas available. Our electric rates are some of the lowest in US - 4.5 cents per KWH. What is the best heating system to consider? High eff. LP furnace? or Heat Pump? If HP, what should I look for in ratings?
    You do need to look GEOTHERMO heatpump they are much higher efficient and last longer, with your rate of AIR source HP is not bad I guess but LP gas is out it has doubled in price in the last five years. Go to http://www.geoexchange.com and check out case studies in your area and find a geo contractor. You will be glad you did