Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copeland Help

First of all thank you to anyone that takes the time to respond.

Second here is my problem.

I have a lennox system that the compressor valves went out, I have got estimates to fix it which include from 1300-1600 dollars. So I have decided to fix it my self, but i cant find any thing out about the compressor.

It is a Copeland CR34k6-PFV-230. I cant find anything to match to that. I am assuming it is a 34,000 BTU so a 3 ton.

JOhnstone closest they have is a cr34kq-PFV-980wb.

So all in all can someone help me find an replacement?

Johnstone wont even give me a price because I am still in hvac school. So is there any OTHER Retailers to use?

By the way the low side was 150psi the high side was 130 psi

Bring this issue up with your instructor, he/she may use your repair as a field trip and get it done with training. The instructor may have resources to purchase a compressor at your expense. Typically you cannot purchase refrigerant holding parts without an epa card. What info are you looking for as far as the compressor is concerned, other than where to purchase?

why johnstone there are other supply houses try those.

What are some other places besides JOhnstone?

Your compressor is fine, you just have your guages on backwards. The red goes on the high side and the blue goes on the low.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I put the red on the high side (insulated suction line) and the blue on the low side the smaller copper tube.

And two other businesses said the same thing.

like steve said the small copper tube is high red color and the large copper tube is low blue color. but feel free to replace the compressor without doing anymore checks on the system

Blue=cold line
    Red=hot line

Don't mix up the discharge with the liquid line if there are two ports.

If the unit was running when you read your gages you still only had 20 lbs of differential - no matter how you connected to the unit. That's not good.
    I like millerman's idea. It would be a good learning experience for everyone and the instructor might find the reason the thing failed in the first place.
    Besides - you can use it as a sort of reverse pop quiz.

CR34K6-PFV-230 is 34,500 BTU at 45 saturated vapor/130 saturated condensing. Mass flow (lbs/hr) is 505.

CR34KQ-PFV-980WB is 34,000 at same specs. About 1 amp difference between the two at RLA, this model being the higher one. Mass flow 498.

You get to decide if these two differences are negligible or not.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

and the two other bussineses, i take two other tech were there and they aggreed on the prognosis, was this a free diagnostic? sound fishy to me

Also make sure that you have the valves closed in the maniflold before putting the gage set on the system. A common mistake for student learners is to have the high side short cycling directly back into the low side because the manifold valves are open.

Talking Dang IT!

Originally posted by sonofdawra
    Also make sure that you have the valves closed in the maniflold before putting the gage set on the system. A common mistake for student learners is to have the high side short cycling directly back into the low side because the manifold valves are open.
    The new compressor would have presented the ame symptoms Ron, you took all our fun out of this...:-)
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast