Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIXED RATE WATER HEATER RENTALS

Post Likes
    Electric and gas utilities used to lease their water heaters here in MA (just like Ma Bell)- with deregulation, codes, and big box stores - these arrangements are now going the way of AT&T.

Post Likes
    To aid the discussion:

I am a homeowner in Ontario.

I rent my waterheater from the electric company (Toronto Hydro).

I pay a flat rate for the electricity for the water heater. (the power going to the waterheater by-passes the meter).

My last bill for a 2 month period (62 days, Canadian dollars):

Water Heater rental: $13.43
    Flat rate for power: $65.35

These numbers do not include Taxes.

How would these numbers compare to owning a gas heater?

Post Likes
    Interesting. Here in the States, water heater rental is pretty much unheard of. But to rent a water softener is pretty common. And there they sit, side by side in the utility room...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wilbur
    To aid the discussion:

I am a homeowner in Ontario.

I rent my waterheater from the electric company (Toronto Hydro).

I pay a flat rate for the electricity for the water heater. (the power going to the waterheater by-passes the meter).

My last bill for a 2 month period (62 days, Canadian dollars):

Water Heater rental: $13.43
    Flat rate for power: $65.35

These numbers do not include Taxes.

How would these numbers compare to owning a gas heater?
    Hi, how old is your water heater, the age of the equipment can effect your energy costs. Do you know what type of water heater you have. There have been a number of technical changes made to water tanks over the last few years including thicker insulation and vapour technology to prevent fires. The vapour technology is now law for atmosheric (conventional) water tanks. Depending on the age of your tank changing it out for a new tank may end up saving you money in the long run.

Let me know if you want any other information

Post Likes
    With my rental, it doesn't really matter to me how effecient or old or what technology my heater is. I rarely run out of hot water. I am billed a flat rate. (it doesn't matter how much hot water I use, I still pay the same amount).

Post Likes
    Originally posted by shophound
    I'm personally interested in going tankless next time I gotta change out that 50 gallon pig in my house (if I still live there). For certain in the house I will build myself in the future, it will have a tankless unit in it.

Here in the States it wouldn't be cost effective to rent a water heater, as cheap as they can be found at the local big box home center. I can pick a decent gas model up for under 300 dollars, pop it in with whatever minimal piping and flue changes necessary, and be set for another ten or so years. If I bothered to drain it now and then I might be able to stretch that time out a little longer.

I couldn't imagine renting a tank at say ten bucks a month that would wed me to a payment for as long as I lived in the house, when I could pay out of pocket and be done with it for awhile. Let's say I lived in a house for twenty years. At ten bucks a month over twenty years, that's $2,400.00 American dollars pissed away on a hot water heater. The home center job, replaced twice in twenty years, might set me back $600.

Post Likes
    Our program at the ten year point allows the customer one of three options. 1 purchase the tank for fairmarket value (most likely 0 to 5%), 2 Continue renting at 50% of their monthly payment. 3. Call us and have it removed.

No other program automatically reduces to 50% Renting or purchasing both have there positive points, we sell worry free piece of mind equipment.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by morenergy1
    Our program at the ten year point allows the customer one of three options. 1 purchase the tank for fairmarket value (most likely 0 to 5%), 2 Continue renting at 50% of their monthly payment. 3. Call us and have it removed.

No other program automatically reduces to 50% Renting or purchasing both have there positive points, we sell worry free piece of mind equipment.

Post Likes
    it is not necessary to quote oneself, we already know what you said in the [i]previous[/] post.

Post Likes

Hmm

Have you thought about paying for an ad on this site?I'm sure Boss or BC ,will be suggesting what a could idea it would be,

Thought about it?,...he did it for free!!!,...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in