Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heat Pump Resonant Frequency Noise/Vibration

At the risk of getting stoned to death I've got another question:

I just had new Carrier heat pump system installed, single stage scroll compressor w/blanket and the condensor already has vibration pads as well. Earth is sand and unit is strap-mounted on a Concrete/foam hurrican pad (yeah, I know not the ideal thing). One of the things I'm trying to get my brain around is what are the contributors to the resonant low frequency noise coming from the pump that is permeating areas of the house. Straps are not contributing, already looked into that. Here's my question: Can charge adjustment potentially make a difference? I've had the charge re-balanced a few times for unrelated service reasons and unless I'm loosing my mind I could swear the sound level sometimes gets effected (for better or worse) when they do that. This last time I had a TXV replaced and the sound seems to have worsened somewhat, back to the way it was before they balanced the charge the previous time. Am I imagining things or is it possible slight charge imbalances can effect the resonance level of the pump?

Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by SonicExplorer View Post
    At the risk of getting stoned to death I've got another question:

I just had new Carrier heat pump system installed, single stage scroll compressor w/blanket and the condensor already has vibration pads as well. Earth is sand and unit is strap-mounted on a Concrete/foam hurrican pad (yeah, I know not the ideal thing). One of the things I'm trying to get my brain around is what are the contributors to the resonant low frequency noise coming from the pump that is permeating areas of the house. Straps are not contributing, already looked into that. Here's my question: Can charge adjustment potentially make a difference? I've had the charge re-balanced a few times for unrelated service reasons and unless I'm loosing my mind I could swear the sound level sometimes gets effected (for better or worse) when they do that. This last time I had a TXV replaced and the sound seems to have worsened somewhat, back to the way it was before they balanced the charge the previous time. Am I imagining things or is it possible slight charge imbalances can effect the resonance level of the pump?

Sonic
    Does it have a muffler?

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    Does it have a muffler?
    Not a clue. It's a Carrier Comfort series 25HCC536.

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    Does it have a muffler?
    Are mufflers used on scroll compressors? I read in other threads that they are only useful in reciprocating compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campbell View Post
    Are mufflers used on scroll compressors? I read in other threads that they are only useful in reciprocating compressors.
    Not true. The scroll is just as big of offender as a recip. Possibly even more so.

@crmont - thanks for the clarification on that.

@SonicExplorer - Could it be the linesets vibrating? At the point they come in to the house the hole should be sealed with a flexible putty so their vibrations don't transfer to your foundation, and, the lines to the air handler should be hung from straps in your basement or crawl space - not clamped to rafters.
    I know in my house one of the linesets (fuly insulated with 1" foam insulation) was contacting a beam under the bath and it actually made the spout on the whirlpool bath resonate! Pulling it back from the beam made the noise completely disappear.

TOO MANY THREADS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    TOO MANY THREADS FOR THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What are you, the self-appointed thread police? LoL This isn't related to the air handler knocking problem, I was just asking if a charge being slightly off could result in the outside pump making a bit more resonance/noise. For example, on a scale of 1 to 10, I mean like a difference of 1 or 2.

He is not the thread police. Just venting some frustration at the multiple threads/multiple problems on the same system.
    Tech's will help as best as they can here but sometimes OP's can drive them a bit bonkers and post like that.
    I'm asking you to keep the issues on the same system in the same thread and recognize that you need to find a competent contractor on your end. I believe I tried to ask you where you are so maybe a member in your area can help but you didn't feel comfortable with telling us what area you lived in(?). Well, I tried. But at this point I starting to wonder if that would have been a good idea.
    You and the tech you are using seem to be shooting holes in the dark. You have had good advice that you need to use before posting or making more threads.
    That's from the thread police.
    Last edited by Stamas; 01-09-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by SonicExplorer View Post
    What are you, the self-appointed thread police? LoL This isn't related to the air handler knocking problem, I was just asking if a charge being slightly off could result in the outside pump making a bit more resonance/noise. For example, on a scale of 1 to 10, I mean like a difference of 1 or 2.
    You have a Comfort Series heat pump condenser.

If you wanted an outdoor unit that didnt vibrate, you would've crowbared that wallet open and bought a Performance or Infinity.

OP wants prime rib on a hamburger budget.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

<< I believe I tried to ask you where you are so maybe a member in your area can help but you didn't feel comfortable with telling us what area you lived in(?). >>

I also asked where he lives and again, no answer. Can't help those that don't help themselves.
    Doug

Could it be the linesets vibrating? At the point they come in to the house the hole should be sealed with a flexible putty so their vibrations don't transfer to your foundation, and, the lines to the air handler should be hung from straps in your basement or crawl space - not clamped to rafters.
    I just had a Lennox XP-21 installed and it is very quiet, however there is a very low vibration that occurs. Not annoying but you can tell it's there. The outside unit is installed properly with the two 90 deg elbows required in the install manual. The lineset is maybe 22' total. It is clamped to one of my floor trusses and this is where the vibration is being picked up. What would be a good alternative to the solid clamp to avoid the transmission of the vibration?

@crmont - thanks for the clarification on that.

@SonicExplorer - Could it be the linesets vibrating? At the point they come in to the house the hole should be sealed with a flexible putty so their vibrations don't transfer to your foundation, and, the lines to the air handler should be hung from straps in your basement or crawl space - not clamped to rafters.
    I know in my house one of the linesets (fuly insulated with 1" foam insulation) was contacting a beam under the bath and it actually made the spout on the whirlpool bath resonate! Pulling it back from the beam made the noise completely disappear.
    Tom, I think there was some confusion over the term straps. I meant the condensor was strapped to the hurricane pad. That can sometimes partially impede any vibration pads a condensor may have. I don't think my system is having a noise problem per-se, I was just curious if the charge being off slightly might have any perceptable effect on the level of noise/resonance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast