Thread: Lennox pulse

Had a service call on Lennox pulse G14Q3-60-19, bad gas valve, used factory replacement, could I have used a univerisal gas valve with pressure set at 2 inches instead of 3.5 Use these on every other brand but never thought of using on Pulse. Would save having to stock additional valves.

Wink

I only use one tool on pulse furnaces...

My baseball bat.

web
    i think the pulse is the best going and got a bad deal
    i would use only valve for the pulse unit.
    this furnace has earned my respect for reliablity and once used to it the easyest to work on best furnace ever made

I dealt with Lennox products and the Pulse furnace from its introduction to its forced retirement. It doesn't take too many instances of furnaces contributing to fatalities for it to get a bad rap. I agree that Pulse was unlike any other furnace in reliability and durability. It's a shame that the public overall will never know the complete story of the units demise. Any other furnace of the same design would have encountered the same problems, eventually. It just so happens that since there was a patent on the design, it was Lennox's problem alone.

p.s. I would never 'substitute' parts on a Pulse furnace because of it's unique design and operation. I would only use OEM parts, and never, NEVER, service the unit if I wasn't 100% sure of what I was doing.

When PULSE furnaces were first introduced (G14) a tech had to be trained before they were technically allowed to install and/or service a unit. G21 was the 2nd generation PULSE.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

I loved working on Pulse furnaces. Definatly use only the OEM gas valve. I have seen a couple of attempts to use universal valves in place of the OEM one. The very brief back pressure every every ignition pulse, before the gas intake diaphragm seals off, plays hell the universal valves.

IMO, the Pulse furnace would have went the way of the Dodo, even without the HX problems that were found with the G14 series.

By the late 90's the G26 and other makes of condensing furnaces had gotten to within 2% of the efficiency of the G21 series. 2% isn't woth an extra $1000 or so...

I only have 1 customer now that has a Pulse furnace. Its an old G14 from 1984. It works great and I pressure tested it at 10 psi instead of 4 psi a few months ago, just to make sure, didn't leak at all.

Sadly, it will be retired soon because the guys evap coil and 2 speed condensor are about worn out.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Post Spare Parts

I've got a box full of flapper replacements and an extra pressure kit if anyone needs one....

In addition to the full service manual on our server for the download if anyone wants it for thier library.

http://www.alltemp-hvac.com/GSR14.pdf
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I would love the pressure kit and a flapper or 2

I would contribute to your favorite charity

Even the adult beverage fund

E-mail is in profile

small change

i went through the pulse training back in the mid 80s and you could not install it or service it till you were trained. most of its problems were install relates and not design. 1% failure rate on the heat exchange is not bad either and we know that because lenox took the time to find out. wonder what the rate is on other brands.but like anything else it steps aside for the cheaper ones. what a true shame

gasman Guest

Cool

I aggre that the Lenox Pulse was a good and reliable unit, but did not liked working on them because at that time i was not trained properly. u know learning as you go and i thought it was not fair to cust. but now i enjoyed working on them as i understood the principles. too bad that they going out in my area.

Alltemp, thanks for the manual, now I may be able to service the pulse furnace in the basement of the house I've lived in for the last three years!

Originally posted by webbheat
    Had a service call on Lennox pulse G14Q3-60-19, bad gas valve, used factory replacement, could I have used a univerisal gas valve with pressure set at 2 inches instead of 3.5 Use these on every other brand but never thought of using on Pulse. Would save having to stock additional valves.
    Few people know what to expect or understand when they even look at a Pulse furnace. At the very least have someone look at it every 4 years. Make sure they know what it is.

What was anyones biggest meter clock over fire? Nobody told us anything!!!!