Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price Variation

not for nothing but it is the same old storie
    cheap gets you cheap
    maybe 8000 was a bit high but who is to say
    a quality contractor with quality guys, trucks,shop,and service is going to pay top dollar for this and them and is going to be there when he is need and will pay the this to. and there is no secret involved if you want this kind of quality then the cost the contractor has to endur to maintain this quality of workman ship and service is reflected off on to the consumer. hope the cheapest one works out for you.

To me this is just good economics. Same unit, same warranty, same work for a lower price. What is your rationale that expensive is always better? I have also contacted 10 references and have had no complaints from this businessman. It appears to me that many make assumptions that you will always obtain the best deal and service if you spend more money. I takes me chances.

Thumbs down Re: Homework?

Originally posted by maizenbluedoc
    B. My question does not involve who is the most dependable or trustworthy ...
    What are the HVAC-Talk Forum Rules?
    Most of the Maize n Blue should Know!

( Repeating previous replies ... Irascible et al )

HVAC BOSS should have eliminated this thread by now.

Proposal evaluations can be done if you REQUEST & Receive more detail than just a " Lump Sum"
    ASK THE Bidders for ExplanationS

Rule # 3
    Home Owners - no pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it. Also, this is a site to promote the learning of HVAC technical knowledge and as such, questions of the type "$5,000 for a XXX system, is this a good price?" do not fit in with the theme of the site.

Home owners, do NOT post prices.

Posts of this type will be deleted.

take it outside .. racingdan11@comcast.net

[Edited by dan sw fl on 03-24-2005 at 06:17 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Remerciez tout le vous de l'information. Je ne signalerai rien encore.
    Ayez un beau jour.

Maizen - you can be my lawyer any day! Posting your prices was a no-no, but question could have used % and no harm/no foul.

Good point regarding price always equals quality - NOT! That's a cop out some use here to ignore the very real problem of hacks in the trade. Most don't have the time to address this problem - so they want to believe a knee-jerk reaction to some homeowner is helping. Again - Not!

Thumbs up Merci!

Merci beaucoup. Aucun mal n'a signifié.

Maizen

One reason why I am cheaper here is that I am the one that will be 'hand-on' involved in your installation. I don't have to pay for an installer crew, plus office work, plus my management people. I do it all ( along with my wife ).

Most on here try to justify why they charge so much in their installs. And overhead is a big justification.

Re: Maizen

Originally posted by bornriding
    ( and the fact that I am not a good 'business' person ) [/B]
    This is what is wrong with our industry. When we start justifying why we can charge less than the other companies is ridiculous. Why not charge the same as some of the bigger companies? Are you not worth it? The fact that you personally will be installing a system instead of employees should be worth paying MORE. When everyone gets into a price war us HVAC guys always lose. The fact that your overhead may be less doesn't matter, are you putting money in the bank, retirement, health insurance, vacation, etc. I've come to the conclusion along time ago that I would charge what my work is worth, people not willing to pay can always find it cheaper somewhere else.

Not picking on ya born, but think about it. Charge what you are worth, it hurts all in this industry when you don't, especially you.

Re: Why Trane

Unit rated well. Additionally, the Whirlpool only manufactures a 10-12 SEER according to their website. That won't make the minimum government standard for 2006. Sometimes cheaper isn't always better (learned that from working for the U.S.government). I have decided to go with the lowest quote. I can afford the $4800 (lowest), but not the $8070 (highest). Thanks to all for the suggetions.
    whirlpool sells up to 14 seer and as a dealer I quote them with a 10 year parts and labor warranty so you may want to check that again. and what is it with pricing lower because you work out of your house or only have one employee instead of 50. I am within $ 100 sometimes higher sometimes lower of every competitor with 10 or more employees and I work out of my shop on my property with my home I still charge according to market if the big guy can get $xxxxxx so do I. I have the same qualifications and usually more.

[Edited by conrad1 on 03-25-2005 at 06:19 PM]
    Learning never ends and everyone has something to teach. Some people teach me what to be like others teach me what not to be like!

Re: Re: Why Trane

[I am within $ 100 sometimes higher sometimes lower of every competitor with 10 or more employees and I work out of my shop on my property with my home I still charge according to market if the big guy can get $xxxxxx so do I. I have the same qualifications and usually more.]

Amen brother! That's what I'm saying. Why should a customer receive the benefit of lower overhead instead of the HVAC guy. If four company's average $5,000 for a job, why in the world would you charge $3,500 just because you have fewer or no employees? If you convince the customer that you are the difference they would rather pay you and not the big boys.Charge what your worth and what the market will bear unless of course your not worth much.

Coolu

No offense is taken from u and I hope non is given here.
    I am a weird type of person, Coolu, I can't seem to charge any more than I would be willing to pay if I were the customer.
    And no, won't have much of a retirement, and very limited other benefits, but I just have to keep my conscience clear - that I have done all I can, to do the best I can, for everyone I can.
    I lied to my mother alot growing up, I think it is my pitence.( I hope I spelled that right )( you know, my way of making it up )
    Anyway, you may be glad to hear, I'm raising my parts markup ( mainly cause of the price of gas )

To me this is just good economics. Same unit, same warranty, same work for a lower price. What is your rationale that expensive is always better? I have also contacted 10 references and have had no complaints from this businessman. It appears to me that many make assumptions that you will always obtain the best deal and service if you spend more money. I takes me chances.
    There could be tons of reasons for the price difference. Maybe the cheaper guy isn't purging with nitrogen while brazing. Maybe he isn't going to take the time to leak search the joints with nitrogen after brazing them. Maybe he's not going to insulate the parts of his metal fab. that are in an uninsulated space (if indeed any of this job are in a garage or unfinished basement).Maybe he isn't going to seal the metal work around where he is installing.

On the flipside maybe the other contractor has a slower installer and will have more hours labor (not necessarily a bad thing). Maybe he pays more overhead like trucks that aren't leaking oil and new up to date equipment. He could just plain pay his guys better to evoke better quality and loyalty. It could be that this contractor doesn't sell as many units and Trane doesn't cut him as good of a deal on the equipment.

There is no such thing as apple to apples in hvac. No two companies have the same costs of doing bussiness. It's where the companies try to save money that makes for a good or bad install. If you have a vacuum pump that needs rplacing or repair but the boss won't or can't replace or repair it, the units that get impropery dehydrated will suffer. This is one example of many things.

Prices vary from area to area, shop to shop. GOOD WORK ISN'T CHEAP AND CHEAP WORK ISN'T GOOD!

Question Me Takes Me Chance

I can asssure you of one thing, the cheaper quote was the only dealer to give me a typewritten proposeal delineating what I would get for my money, including the type metal used, duct wrap, and all the other specifics. I am highly suspicious that some installers want to get as much as they can from the customer, whether the work is good or not. I commend those of you that provide a service at a reasonable price without exsanguinating the customer. I cannot rationalize why so many believe the higher prices assure better quality work. Cheaper is not always better, but, neither is the more expensive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast