Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Price Variation

Angry

I have two proposals for a Trane XL-1400, 3 Ton packaged unit. One proposal was for $5990 and another for $4880 ( a difference of $1110). The units are identical with the extended 10 year warranty. I have a difficult time understanding the large diference in price. Both companies have been in operation since the 1950' and both are certified Trane dealers. Any comments appreciated.

sorry cant say just know mine would have been much higher

Maizen

I hope that your are installing new system complete with ductwork ( at those prices )
    In my area, we have a couple of big contractors that charge 2-3 thousand dollars more for the same basic system as i would install.
    The difference is in my overhead. ( and the fact that I am not a good 'business' person )Its lower than theirs. They have to pay for a lot more, including a lot more employees. So they need to make more on the job. Just because I am cheaper, does not mean you are getting inferior equipment or installation.

Hope this helps

Basic Unit

This just for the packaged unit and the extended 10 year parts and labor warranty. I live in the Charleson, SC area. No duct work involved.

hugodrax Guest
    Unless packaged units are more expensive than a split something sounds odd. Unless the cost of living is higher up north and less competition.

Home Owners - no pricing questions please

I'm not guiltless myself. But professional members shouldn't be indulging homeowners like this. The idea that a national audience can comment intelligently on local pricing is ridiculous.

It's very simple maizen. Pick the best contractor and pay him what he wants. If you can't tell which is best, you've not done your homework. Learn what comprises a good install and you'll start to see differences between contractors that you don't see now. For example: Has either one performed a Manual J? Did they check the existing ducts to see if they’re even close to being big enough? Most homes have undersized ducts. As such most systems deliver SEER and capacity well below their nominal rating. Popping your head in the attic and glancing around doesn't cut it. Will either one do a test out of the system? Most installers put it in, turn it on and go. A real test out involves measuring delivered capcacity, air balancing, etc.

Being in business since the fifties is no real asset IMO. There are contractors that have been doing it wrong since the fifties and remain profitable anyway.

[Edited by Irascible on 03-16-2005 at 08:17 PM]

Is the 10 year parts and labor warranty included in the proposal? That could be some of the difference.

Every company charges different for the warrantys.

Irascible

Would the system test out you mention be done on a change out or just new construction install? Also my thermostat is not fitted tight to the wall, it moves and wobbles when I change the temp. Can I just try and remove the face and tighten it?

jasond1011 Guest

details make the difference

sit down and read the exact description of exactly what each is doing . we are always higher than old Vern but he doesn't pull a permit so if the house burns down his insurance won't pay cause it wasn't inspected. He doesn't change the uninsulated 25 year old copper lines under the slab, just what you can see. He takes about a week or more to do the job we do in a day. he reuses the old concrete pad or sits the new condenser on a brick or in the dirt. he reuses the old crushed polypipe drain in sted of new pvc drain. he doesnt add new returns in every room just uses the old one that has always been half as big as needed. he goes with the 1 inch crap filter instead of an annual micron filter so you never have mold dirty coil etc. he vents it to the old masonary chimmney in stead of a new one , double wall. ne reuses the old stat wire to the stat, its to hard to get to, and maybe the old stat. he doesn't really know how to program all that high tech stuff so just fire it up and wait a few years till it breaks ,that guy will know how to program it so you actually see a energy savings. oh and don't call him on the weekend nights or holiday cause he keeps no one on call stocks no parts and doesn't work when you need him and are willing to pay overtime. If they didn't write it in the proposal they are not going to do it.

"But professional members shouldn't be indulging homeowners like this. The idea that a national audience can comment intelligently on local pricing is ridiculous."

...Irascible hits the nail on the head. How can anyone not involved or knowledgeable in the quotes, area of install, options, quality assurance of job answer this question.

Bud,

It could be done on either. Understand too that the term "test out" doesn't have one standard industry meaning. The bottom line on a test out is not so much the exact definition, but that it rarely gets done.

As far as your thermostat goes... that was a bit out of left field. Are you yanking my chain? We'll assume you're not for the moment. :^) You might be able to tighten it up. But I find that if it's come loose you usually end up needing to remove the subbase and install new wall anchors or something.

When a contractor gives you his bid , it is not just for the equipment, it is for his work. Why one is cheaper than the other depends on a lot of things. for one the area. I live in a smaller size town. what goes here might not be the same in New York city and vice versa. plus overhead, if there is a contractor working by himself out of his home, his will be much cheaper as there is no overhead or employees or trucks to spend for , not to mention advertisement. my advice, as for a reference, Most contractors will provide them gratefully.

Homework?

One poster insinuated that I had not done my homework in attempting to decide which contractor/installer to select. That is certainly not the case. I have researched this for a good month. The only difference in the two installers is one is a member of the Better Business Burean, the other not. Neither have any complaints registered by the BBB. My question does not involve who is the most dependable or trustworthy (both are certified, for what that is worth), but why a difference of $1100? Had the difference ben $500 dollars, I could understand the difference may be attributed to overhead. The installer of the lowest bid does commercial and residential work, the higher bid installer does not engage in commercial jobs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast