Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    dash
    realy dam i am sorry to hear that it was about ten years ago when i saw it and read about it again about two years ago guess they need a new one lol
    still say human eror it main cause

From what I understand the only reason "snowball" died was because it was shut down to move and then started back up again.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ice has nothing to do with compressors failing, as long as it's not liquid returning, and there isn't too much superheat its ok. The problem is, when the coil ices, it usually results in slugging. It's simple enough to ice a system then adjust the charge so it stays frozen and still doesnt slug.

Many of the commercial systems I used to service were balls of ice but then again they were machines that operated with evap conditions below zero with proper charges.

Case Study:

Looked at a Bryant 5ton air-source HP today. Lineset is about 25-30ft long; suction line is 3/4 & the liquid line is 3/8. Compressor is no longer with the living.

How old do you all think it is?

I had a 7 1/2 ton Trane split, totally froze up. Shut it off and thawed, restarted, found superheat at 0 deg and ambient was 70. Txv stem was all the way out, set to 15 degrees superheat and did not have to adjust charge.

Just changed out an 06D, was mechanically failed (no oil in compressor), changed compressor, swapped unloader from old compressor to new compressor, changed drier, pulled vacuum charged and checked operation. Compressor would not unload (failed unloader), but also found thermostat (30-90 deg range) in return air set at 40 degrees. All oil that went to evaporator from old compressor came back to new compressor. Bled off excess oil from oil pump to proper level and then changed oil.

Oh yeah, too much oil will kill one also.

I love going behind other people and finding their screwups.

Post Flooding 1st

I'd say flooding 1st caused by over charge 2nd poor maintenance and 3rd but not least compressor design...

Look at those Maneurop Pots you can't hardly slug em... The whole dam compressor is oen big accumulator under that can...

If everyone would build em tht way there wold be less failures...

Was Snowball built in this manner?
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Re: Flooding 1st

Originally posted by AllTemp
    ...Was Snowball built in this manner?
    Almost an exact copy.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    From what I understand the only reason "snowball" died was because it was shut down to move and then started back up again.
    So, are you saying snowball was murdered?

I wonder if they did an autopsy?

I'll ask around.

I know somebody who knows somebody...

looks like trane answered the question
    human error
    poor snow ball he was killed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123