Thread: Actual Humidifier Water Use/Waste

Post Likes

Angry

This is a question that has been coming up more and more recently for me. When I install a humidifier, people want to know how much water it uses. Not how much it delivers, but how much waste is trickling down the drain. Short of actually doing the measurements myself, which seems like work, I don't know what to do.

I've read through all the manufacturer literature, checked all over the WWW and I can NOT find a simple statement such as: "The average flow-thru humidifier uses 'X' gallons of water per day, delivers 'Y' and therefore the water wasted is 'X-Y'.

It's a conspiracy. I'm positive. And if someone here doesn't know, I'm getting a measuring cup and a stopwatch, so help me.

HARD DATA NEEDED BEFORE I HAVE TO THINK FOR MYSELF. LOL

Post Likes
    I'm guessing it has to do with how long it runs, how high its set, what teh actual humidity is, how much air passes over the pad, what the water pressure is, what oriface is installed in the water line.

If no water is going down the drain then I would suspect the humidifier isnt getting enough water to supply its potential or its so dry in the space it evaporates just that quick.

Post Likes
    We get betweeen 7-14 gallons per day waste. I have a separate condensate pump that delivers waste water to a cistern tank that I water lawn and trees with. (we are under water restrictions). Honeywell bypass humidifier.We also have 2 fish tanks and 2 kids that shower every day with no bath fans,and our dog that drinks a gallon of water at a time, and leaves a quart on the floor when he's done.

Post Likes
    Well, I guess 7-14 gallons a day is reasonable. No - wait - that's insane! That's a LOT of water. Hmmmmm....having a hard time conceptualizing that little trickle adding up to that much. Might be time for the measuring cup and stopwatch after all. LOL

I'll tell you this though, when I DO find some hard data, I'm going to post it all OVER the 'net so the next person doesn't have to go insane looking for it like i did!

Damn Skippy!

Awww...Poor Skippy!

Crap. I've gone insane.

Post Likes
    an older toilet is 8 gal. a flush. The reality of the humidifier water usage is it varies signifantly. If I turn up my humidistat, fan in on position, heat cycles normally, I will get close to 5 gals per hour waste water. Once the home has achieved the required humidity, the humidistat cycles as needed. usage drops dramatically.
    I havent monitered the waste water very accuratley. Most of the time I valve it to the washer standpipe drain. I mainly use the waste water to fill the hot tub,fish tanks,wash cars,water trees and my dying lawn. Its winter and Im busy, and not much to water outside, and I have inadequate storage for the summer months.
    I can tell you this tho, I can keep my thermostat lower(as I was taught) with more humidity than less. Less sore throats, more comfortable, etc. At water here charges around 4$ per 1000, Its worth it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in