+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Craftsmanship?

Post Likes
    I have recently started my own business after 18 years working for others. I have based all of my advertising on "craftsmanship and expierience". I have an extensive background in forced-air and hydronics. I also have an extensive history in engineering.
    My problem is this: I am more expensive than most, and cannot compete with alot of the contractors in my area. The up-side is I have not lacked work yet. I am worried that craftsmanship and quality install may not be enough. Have any of y'all been where I am, and am I headed in the right direction? I would prefer to close shop befor compromising craftsmanship and quality, is this the way to go or am I being gullable?

Post Likes
    two things:
    1)word-of-mouth
    2)service

1) word of mouth gets you connected clients, if you like working for joe, his friends are probably the same type of people, and, if there's issues, you call joe and say "wtf with your friend?"

2)service- choose your market and meet your market well, learn about your clients without asking a lot of questions, listen.

There will ALWAYS be someone who will do it cheaper, and there will always be those who won't pay for quality. It is better to find that out early,and let them go elsewhere when your investment consists of time only.
    It is always easy to lower your standards, but not so easy to raise them.

Good Luck- Happy beats Rich

Post Likes
    Go with your "up side" and sell a quality line. Word gets around.
    But, dont tell us about it, Tell your future customers!!!

Post Likes
    Keep your head up and do quality work. Quality will ALWAYS prevail!

Along with quality installs, you have to have dependability. Dependability is very, VERY important. People will pay for quality if they are not bugged with problems down the road.
    Hacks will come and go, but the good quality companies normally stay (as long as they charge enough).

One thing to get out of your mind right now, is you DON'T need EVERY job! That will only ware you out and you'll likely be loosing money faster than you can make it. Do quality work, make a margin and you will likely survive.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in