My HVAC guy just cleaned/inspected my system. I have a 12 year old Trane split unit.(Natural Gas furnace) I think it is an XL-12. He suggested that I replace my old thermostat with a Honeywell VisionPro 8000. He quoted my wife $350 for one.
    I thought that sounded high and so I found them much cheaper on the Internet. Then I see there are different models of the VisionPro 8000. One or two of the models are for 2 or 3 stage systems. How do I know if I have a multistage system? I would like to do the install myself. I am pretty good with home repairs, ect... Could a non-pro install one of these? Even if I might have a single stage heat/air could I still use a multistage thermostat and use it in a single stage mode?

--PEACHESandDIESEL

Originally posted by peachesanddiesel
    ... replace my old thermostat with a Honeywell VisionPro 8000. He quoted my wife $350 for one.
    One or two of the models are for 2 or 3 stage systems.

How do I know if I have a multistage system?

I would like to do the install myself. I am pretty good with home repairs, ect...

Even if I might have a single stage heat/air could I still use a multistage thermostat and use it in a single stage mode?

--PEACHESandDIESEL
    http://www.programmable-thermostat.c...thermostat.htm

Replace it yourself with a multi-stage and then you can still use it when you replace your system in ~ 4 more years.

Model TH8321 includes a Humidistat if you are in need of one.
    Oh yeah, you may wish to read the manual before replacing.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Your question and the cost of the thermostat as installed by a pro is why the pro's price is higher than what you saw on the internet.

The pro knows whether you need multi-stage or not. He also knows (or should know) the best way to program the thermostat for your system.

Having said that, there's no problem with doing this yourself if you want to take on the learning curve already built into the pro's price.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

350.00 is cheap compared to having him come out and replace your transformer and /or control board along with another t-stat after youv'e already purchased one.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Originally posted by md master
    350.00 is cheap compared to having him come out and replace your transformer and /or control board along with another t-stat after youv'e already purchased one.
    I thought that forums like this one would let me aquire the information need so as not to fry my unit or t-stat. After all...forums like this one are part of the "Information Highway". I know that I have to trust that the information would have to be correct. I would hope that if any information given is not correct, then someone who does know better would chime in.

PEACHESandDIESEL

I notice you did not offer any info about yourself. Lets say your a stock brocker, would you give trading advice for free? Or free law advice? If you get the information your after who would you blame if you let the smoke out of that shiny new t-stat? With the price you were given, it would include a 1-year warranty at the least I'm sure. If it fails 2 days after you install this internet purchase, how are you going to handle it? Good luck to you. By the way,
    r-r
    w-w
    g-g
    y-y and if you want the screen to act as a night light without draing the battery in a day use the common.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Originally posted by millerman
    I notice you did not offer any info about yourself. Lets say your a stock brocker, would you give trading advice for free? Or free law advice? If you get the information your after who would you blame if you let the smoke out of that shiny new t-stat? With the price you were given, it would include a 1-year warranty at the least I'm sure. If it fails 2 days after you install this internet purchase, how are you going to handle it? Good luck to you. By the way,
    r-r
    w-w
    g-g
    y-y and if you want the screen to act as a night light without draing the battery in a day use the common.
    I am a auto worker in the middle Tennessee area. I am a jack of all trades and a master at none. If I can save the money on something by doing it myself and I am sure I can handle the job, then I will. If I don't know how to work on something, I then seek the knowledge. If I then cannot comprehend what information I gather, I then call the Pros.

If I end up smoking that shiney new t-stat, I would have nobody to blame by myself. I realize that. I got a little perturbed about some of the above posts. I feel like the very ones who don't think that this top secret information and tricks of the trade should be given out to a non profressonal like me is plain silly. These very ones have no doubt visited other forums such as maybe a car repair forum to seek anwers as to why their vehicle is running rough, or how to install new plug wires. Yet, they are shooting down a newbie who would like to broaden his knowledge and at the same time have that nice cool lookin' t-stat known as the VisionPro 8000.

Thank You for the info on correct wiring to keep the backlit screen lit up.

PEACHESandDIESEL

Wink VISION PRO 8000

peachesanddiesel.First off I sorry some of the guy seam to have come off a little short to you.A couple of things you should know.Most all of the guy you see hear with the large number of threads are some very knowledgable people.And by far and large very nice and love to help when they and I can.The Vision Pro is a VERY cool T'stat! congrats on making a good choice.What made up your mind in chooseing this T'stat?The problem with trying to give proper and fairly descriptive instructions is.That there is a fair amount of things that can be missed or misinterpreted
    because were not standing there.And it there is a real probability that you could at a minimum blow several fuses.
    Not that big of a deal.But now we got to get you into the guts of the furnace.Also its down to the big box store so you can get more fuses.If they have them.Then there is a chance that you can burn out the 24VA transformer.If you higher out the installation you get have it done right the first time.If for what ever reason there are any problems all you have to do is call the installing company.These are some of the reasons that some are a little on a shy side about trying to give out to much advise. On a forum with such a broadspectrum of people and abilitys you have to be a little careful.
    41GASMAN

Originally posted by md master
    BTW, I too sing song #113 I know of a few brothers in the area who work in the HVAC field. It might be best if I hire one of them to do the install.

PEACHESandDIESEL

BTW, I too sing song #113 I know of a few brothers in the area who work in the HVAC field. It might be best if I hire one of them to do the install.
    Good move. I only said what I did above to help explain why your pro's price differs from one on the 'net.

I've personally installed over 25 of the Vision Pro's. From gas systems to heat pumps to straight cool with electric heat, each install required its own nuances be followed to make the thermostat perform the best it should for that system.

Forum rules constrain us from walking you through this thing step by step.

You've chosen a great thermostat, I have one in my own home and it's great. Once it's up and running in your house you'll also be very pleased.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.