Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAN TYPES-SINGLE, MULTI,VARIABLE

Post Likes
    I will agree totally with beenthere. If that is what you have been told time to find a new contractor.

Post Likes
    No slam on my contractor. I haven't spoken to him yet about this. I was just getting the information from the Trane website. It's apparent I can get a VS 80% furnace, although it may be a little more difficult to find a VS lower SEER AC unit.

Post Likes
    When you say VS a/c, are you referring to the 2 stage a/c's.

They are another story, you won't find any brand offering them in 10 seer.

They will be atleast 12, if not 13 seer minimum.

Post Likes
    beenthere, I'm not looking for a 2 stage AC, just a single stage with a variable speed fan. Perhaps there are units offered that combine a 12 or 13 SEER with VS fan, but the manufacturer websites I checked (Carrier, Trane, York) don't have that combination. Again, there may be models not reflected on the websites.

Post Likes

Beenthere

Just a question.
    Once any system has reduced the humidity to an acceptable level, then how much more de-humidifing does it need to do??
    In other words, the first time you turn on your system, it will cool the home down to its set temperature, and with variable speed, lower the humidity, lets say 5 pts.So we went from 50% relative hum. with my 1-speed to 45% rel. hum with var.sp. Then 1 hour or two later, the unit comes back on. The temp has risen about 2-3 degrees. How much humidity has been added then. Does the humidity level return to 50% or higher ?? Otherwise, when the unit again reaches its set temp, with var sp., I may have lowered the hum to 40 -42 %
    and so forth. When is my humidity level low enough??
    And when the VS blower comes on and off thereafter doesn't it produce less & less humidity control.

Or am I just nuts???

Post Likes
    No, I'm nuts. I'm a CPA trying to do audits and taxes here in California finding that I find this forum to be a really entertaining diversion to the work I need to get out. As to your point, I wish I had the technical expertise to offer an intelligent response. Docholiday did tell me in a previous post that comfort with a 2 stage VS furnace would be more important than a VS AC unit in my low humidity area. If I cannot locate a lower SEER VS unit (single stage) it won't be a big deal. I'll just get an 80% 2 stage VS furnace and a single stage single speed AC unit (12 or 13 SEER).

I appreciate all the responses.

Post Likes
    9999:

As a York/Luxaire dealer I can assure that York does indeed have 12 seer VS units.

Born:

With VS blowers there is a hum terminal, that you hook a humidistat to, when the humidity is higher then this set point the CFM is reduced to remove humidity.

When the humidity is lower, the VS goes to its higher cfm, to cool like most psc motors.

It also allows many people to set their stat higher since the himidity is lower.

Nothing wrong with 45% rh in summer.

Also on the milder temp days, the normal psc blower is moving the same cfm's as if it were 95 outside, so you don't remove as much humidity due to the short cooling cycle to maintain temp.

I take it you haven't installed many.

Post Likes
    beenthere,

Thanks for the information. I'm thinking that a 12 or 13 SEER with VS and TXV, and an 80% 2 stage VS furnace is the right choice for my climate (mild winters, hot, dry summers). Most of what I have read on this forum leads me to believe that the higher SEER units (16 plus) are not necessarily worth the extra money. Now that I know that York has this equipment configuration I can solicit a bid on York equipment. One last question. Do all York AC units have scroll compressor? Thanks

Post Likes

beenthere

No, I haven't installed any. Still trying to decide if they are worth the money, right now I tend to be against for menetary reasons ( install & repair )
    Plus, I'm just a K.I.S.S. man. I tend to believe that simple lasts longer with less repair costs.

But, am open for a change of mind. Thats one thing I like about this site. Gives me a chance to hear other opinions on subjects, maybe one of ya'll will make me a "believer"

Am going to be running my own test this summer - will keep tract of humidity levels. Right now I don't think that humidity is such a big problem ( as I have lived without caring about it for all my life ). Maybe, I'm wrong - will find out this summer

[Edited by bornriding on 03-16-2005 at 07:39 PM]

Post Likes
    9999:

No, most York units have Bristol compressors.

Born:

If your putting in a VS in your house or some one elses, use a txv, and a humidistat, the results will be well worth the money.

Post Likes
    beenthere, I know you sell York, so what is your opinion about a scroll vs. bristol compressor? Is there any real difference in performance or reliability?

Post Likes
    I take the good with the bad.

The York Affinity uses scroll, the rest of the line uses bristol.

Already had a recall on certain 2 stage scrolls.

I've had acouple britol 50/100 2 stage fail.

The bristol is a tad louder, but with the sound blanket you don't hear it much.

Since on higher end equipment you get a ten year warranty on the compressor, I don't feel it makes any real difference.

But, somebody will disagree.

If you go with York, go with the Affinity line, seer starts at 12.

Post Likes
    I'll specifically mention the Affinity line to the York dealer. For AC the York website only discusses a Stealth line and a Olympian/Latitude line. Just goes to show you not everything is on the website.
    Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    Your welcome, the Affinity is replacing the Stealth line, as the top of the line.

Rumor has it, that the Stealth is being obsoleted.

Post Likes
    Heres a link, click on the a/c brochure pdf.

http://www.yorkupg.com/affinity/products.asp

Post Likes
    And the Affinity 12 or 13 SEER is available with a VS?

Post Likes
    The 13 can be single or 2 stage outdoor, and the indoor unit is VS.

Post Likes
    As far as a VS versus a multiple speed fan: Does a VS fan adjust speed automatically, or are there setting options?

On a multiple speed fan (such as Trane XL80 furnace (4 speed fan)) how is the speed changed? Does the user select the desired speed, or is there an automatic function?

Thanks

Post Likes
    A VS is set by dip switches on the control board, for the cfm your house requires, with the addition of a humidistat, it will run slower if the humidity is above the set point in cooling, and when lower it will speed up to the max set cooling speed.

Not sure if the trane is set to just one of the 4 speeds, or if they have a relay to use 1 speed in cooling, and another in heat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in