Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

I'm looking at a Trane set-up that utlizes a 2 speed fan on a 13 SEER AC unit and a 4 speed fan on a 80% 2 stage furnace. At least that's what's on the Trane website. I still have to see if these units are rated to be used together.

I've read a few posts concerning fan types. Some of the professional members have indicated that variable speed (ECM) fans are the way to go, while other inidcate that multiple speed fans (2 speed, etc.) are sometimes less reliable than a single speed fan.

So if the professional members were buying for their own home (and had to pay retail) what would you buy as far as fan types, and what are the important issues?

Thanks

trane has used two speed fan motors on thier condensers for years and so have others. they are dependable
    variable speed blower is the best way to go

agree

If you want quiet soft air flow all times when there is no call of heat/cool, go variable speed.

If you are a person who wants even temp, and also a good air filter system like Media filter system, go variable speed.

Also with variable speed blower, it will take less power to run since it's running on DC power vs AC power. I noticed our light bill has dropped about $20 a month when I went with variable speed, and I run my fan 24/7 for even temp, and air cleaning with the media filter.

Originally posted by nathan9999
    Some of the professional members have indicated that variable speed (ECM) fans are the way to go, while other inidcate that multiple speed fans (2 speed, etc.) are sometimes less reliable than a single speed fan.

So if the professional members were buying for their own home (and had to pay retail) what would you buy as far as fan types, and what are the important issues?
    I dont think reliability is a question, multi-speed PSC's have been the workhorse for years and have done well. ECM's offer imporvements in efficiency and the ability to provide constat airflow when the duct static changes and additional control is also often avaialbe that alows some addtional control of humidity.

Definately worth the retail difference in price.

On a related topic (I hope) how does all this relate to air handlers? I have read about air handlers but don't know how they relate to a split system, if at all. The Trane webiste speaks of variable speed air handlers. If I am looking at a split system is an air handler included or is this another component?

No, you are looking at a gas furnace if I remember correctly, an air handler is used in a heat pump only or air conditioning only application.

Doc, so the Trane XL 13 SEER AC (2 speed) and the XL80 furnace (4 speed) would work independently of each other, correct?

Can a variable speed fan be put into a AC unit or furnace that originally had a 2 speed or 4 speed fan?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by nathan9999
    Doc, so the Trane XL 13 SEER AC (2 speed) and the XL80 furnace (4 speed) would work independently of each other, correct?

Can a variable speed fan be put into a AC unit or furnace that originally had a 2 speed or 4 speed fan?
    Yes, two indendent motors,one in the furnace and one in the outdoor unit.

VS can't be be added on,buy your new furnace with a VS motor.IMHO

Spend the extra to get the VS blower, you won't regret it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

For whatever it is worth, I could not agree more with what everybody else has posted. VS is with ou a doubt worth the money, and adds to the comfort level of the home. I would pay retail in a heart beat for VS.

Ok guys, get ready to rip !!

Nathan,

I'm going to get blasted for this...but here goes !
    Having any system that uses a variable speed motor without a subseguent reducal in BTU output. In other words, a two speed system may have a two speed blower & a two speed compressor for two different levels of cooling. And this is very efficient.
    But, if you just have a variable speed blower without a two or more speed compressor, then you only save the difference in energy between the variable speed motor & the single or two speed motor.
    By my calculations, you would save less than $10.00 / year for that differance in blowers, and yet that variable speed blower will cost you several hundred dollars more to install it and many hundreds more to replace it. To me that is 'no payback'.
    And the only benefit that you would receive, is a little lower humidity level. So, do you have a problem with humidity ?? It may be worth the var. sp. Just realize that you are spending hundreds for a small comfort difference.

OK guys, I can take it !!! LOL

bornriding, no humidity problems. The only reason I was thinking about anything other than a single speed system was comfort. Docholiday indicated a variable (or multi-speed) fan would be helpful for heating comfort but a variable (or multi-speed) for AC would not bring as much comfort benefit.

Doc, correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast