Thread: ? 4 HVAC Pro's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    The lead installer for the crew put the thermostat on the wall right under the main return for my system. The manual says' place it 5' off the floor and on any away from duct work. I pick up the manual and read that while the tech was screwwing it into the wall. What am I missing here?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    I'm not sure I understand the issue. Is the t-stat higher than 5" off the ground? Is the problem that he put it on the wall below the return? Where is it located? Up by the ceiling?

Post Likes
    Its on the wall under the return vent. Five feet off the floor. Ductwork runs behind it on the same wall.

Post Likes
    If your asking is it ok to have the t-stat near the return vent then the answer is yes that's ok. You do not want it near a supply vent as the cold temperature coming out will give it a false idea of the room temp. The return vent pulls all the air back to the unit and is generally a good indication of the spaces temperature.

Post Likes
    Why didn't you ask the installer while he was there?

Did you just jump on here hoping to bust his stones? Give the guy a chance.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Ok, but why does the manual say do not put it near ductwork running inside of the wall?

Post Likes
    i'm not trying to bust anyone's stones.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by coldbud
    Ok, but why does the manual say do not put it near ductwork running inside of the wall?
    If the wall space is ,in fact,the return duct then the "hole" for the wires needs to be Sealed tightly.If not it will pull air in,and give a "false" temperature.

If the wall space is a supply,leakage could also cause false temp. reading at the stat.

I'm thinking this is what the caution is about.

What is the "exact wording" in the manual.

Post Likes
    Thanks, maybe his practical experience tells him it can work on that wall. I'm the HO, communication with me is kept to a minimum. and questioning his experience seems to insult everybody. but I only read the manual. what do I know?

Post Likes
    that last response was not for you dash. thanks

Post Likes
    The idea is to avoid having any supply air with a difference in ambient temperature blowing on the stat which will affect the operation. A return above or below the stat is a non-issue. The installation instructions are written for people who have a good understanding of the best practices in the industry and can be easlily misunderstood by someone who goes by the text as they interpret it.

He did good.

Post Likes
    coldbud
    where he put the stat is fine. the return will only pull room temp air into it and that is what you want the tstat to sense. the wall it is on will be the same temp as the air. try not to over think the installer and let him do his job. as long as it is not in the center of the grille it will be fine

Post Likes
    doc and others,

you are absolutely right. lead installer explained it to me and made it make sense to me. I almost started a thread titled "HO Eats crow or S##$%t". But I won't. I will wait and see just how affective it is in being in that position. I think it will be just fine. Thanks for all the input guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in