Replacing Amana ASZ16 with Trane. What is the best option?

I had an Amana ASZ16 and matching indoor unit system put in 14 months ago and have had nothing but problems with it since. Last December, the compressor locked up and I had to have the whole unit replaced (under warranty). Over the summer, it was not cooling my house sufficiently. This December, I now have issues with the reverse valve locking up. Bottom line is that I'm done with Amana and my installer is honoring my request and allowing me to swap it out for a Trane unit (which they do the majority of their business selling).

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what my best option is to go with. My air handler is in a hallway closet, so I am restricted on my options there. My home is roughly 1500 sq. ft. and I live in FL - gets really humid in the summer and I sweat like a pig.

They said we could go with one of the two:

Trane XL20i 18 SEER
    Trane XR15 15 SEER

Air handler is 4TEE3C04

Can you all shed some light on your recommendations? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FLHC View Post
    I had an Amana ASZ16 and matching indoor unit system put in 14 months ago and have had nothing but problems with it since. Last December, the compressor locked up and I had to have the whole unit replaced (under warranty). Over the summer, it was not cooling my house sufficiently. This December, I now have issues with the reverse valve locking up. Bottom line is that I'm done with Amana and my installer is honoring my request and allowing me to swap it out for a Trane unit (which they do the majority of their business selling).

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out what my best option is to go with. My air handler is in a hallway closet, so I am restricted on my options there. My home is roughly 1500 sq. ft. and I live in FL - gets really humid in the summer and I sweat like a pig.

They said we could go with one of the two:

Trane XL20i 18 SEER
    Trane XR15 15 SEER

Air handler is 4TEE3C04

Can you all shed some light on your recommendations? Thanks!
    I'd first try to determine the cause of such a premature failure. Quite often heat pump failures are due to insufficient air flow in the heating mode. Since your existing air handler is still in place you can have the air flow verified for the size of system in question.

Was any of your duct work modified when your Amana system was installed? You said that your air handler matched the Asz16. Do you have a MBE, or a AEPF and what coil was used if it was a MBE? With your Asz16 what are the next three numbers (Asz160??)? Were the refrigerant lines replaced with your new system, or the existing ones utilized? I only ask because if you don't address the root of your problems, new equipment will only be a temporary fix!!
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    I'd first try to determine the cause of such a premature failure. Quite often heat pump failures are due to insufficient air flow in the heating mode. Since your existing air handler is still in place you can have the air flow verified for the size of system in question.
    Could be that its one of the units that had the over sized RV in it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Could be that its one of the units that had the over sized RV in it.
    They still can check the air flow before removing the air handler.

My model numbers were as follows:

Model: ASZ160361, Serial # 0907049631 and Serial # 0906124130

I don't know what MBE, or AEPF is...

All of the lines were replaced. I was using the old stuff and they ran new lines for the R410 at install. Originally, the ducts were the same as before. I went from a builder quality ComfortKeeper 2.5 TON unit to a 3TON Amana. They did pull new vents for me this summer when I was having cooling issues. It was during FL winters that this again had a failure.

The Amana Filed Service Rep, this round, did admit that it is a reverse valve problem and that it could be replaced as well as an upgraded logic board, which I guess controls everything. He stated it was issues with the reverse valve going into defrost mode and it would get stuck and/or go to slow. The bottom line is that I just don't want to continue to have a band-aided system 14 months after I paid full price for something that should have been working. I haven't even gotten a solid 6 months without problems.

I would still like some recommendations on what would be the best:

Trane XL20i 18 SEER
    Trane XR15 15 SEER

Air handler is 4TEE3C04

Wasnt the entire outside unit replaced when the compressor failed?

Quote Originally Posted by SBKool View Post
    Wasnt the entire outside unit replaced when the compressor failed?
    Yes, that was in December of 2009. I had another failure just this December of 2010. Rather, they are saying the value/logic board need to be replaced.

FLHC

3221082 Active Systems XL20I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWZ0036A1 4TEE3C04A1 36600 13.00 18.60 35200 9.00

3519751 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5036E1 4TEE3C04A1 37000 12.50 15.25 34000 8.50

3519754 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5036E1 4TEE3C06A1 37000 12.50 15.00 34800 9.00

both are nice systems. The XL20i is nicer-it's two stg. you probably would want Trane's 900 stat.

if the XR15, then you want the 4TEE3C06A1 air handler for better efficiency numbers.

IMO

Whats the inside unit's model numbers? The air handler.

So, you lost a compressor, and they replaced the entire thing under warranty.

Then the reversing valve is bad, which they are going to replace, under warranty.

None of these sound like "band-aid" fixes.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted