Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i am not a 410a fan as of yet have been schooled on and can service it and insall it just dont trust anything new till it proves itself out. there is a drop in replacement for 22 already on the marget and it is almost the same.i was reading about it in industrie mag. think it is made by hot shot. it also can replace 410a
    back to the real question yes replace the intire system if will be to your best interest in the long run. 13seer will also save you monie to run. as far as witch freon to me doesnt matter at this time r22 is still my choice till i have non. for fact once the system is installed and as long as it is done right and no leaks you should never have to ajust the charge again for the life of the unit.

Re: James' reply-"too poor to own a rental"...well, all I can say is, having one son at a private university in Michigan(engineering) and one daughter starting at UC Santa Barbara in the fall...that is enough to put anyone in the poor house, but I do own our house and a rental 3 doors down from us. That said, I certainly did not get to this point by throwing money away.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful responses. I appreciate it very much.

[Edited by 53fleet on 03-15-2005 at 11:58 PM]

Thumbs up Energy Efficiency & Use

Originally posted by 53fleet
    ... (3 1/2 ton) ... 20 years old. In the summertime here in Palm Desert, CA my electric bills are over 300 dollars a month for a home of 1300 sq ft.

[Edited by 53fleet on 03-14-2005 at 04:12 PM]
    Recommend a TRANE model 4TTR2030 with air handler TWE031E and 10kW strip heater based on 1,300 Sq. Ft.
    13 SEER 2.5 ton
    ( or look into model XL16i during the TRANE spring incentive plan + CA utility rebates)
    Your electric bills should be < ~ half.

I do not know your utility rate structure ($0.16/ kW ?) but my FP&L electric bill ( $0.09 /kW) is < $100 for May to October for an ARMSTRONG Air 3.0 ton, 10 SEER serving 1,800 Sq. Feet in Naples FL

Send me your floor plan with specific window sizes / sliding doors and tinting, if any.
    Does the rear of your house face West?
    2.5 ton size would have to be confirmed as appropriate for your residence and area.

Maybe adding window tinting along with TRANE model XL16i will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce tonnage required and <<< your electric bill.

E-mail me for approx. replacement cost.
    RacingDan11@comcast.net
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

REPLACING THE ENERGY HOG

DEAR FLEET53:

I AM NOT AN A/C PROFESSIONAL, BUT A FAIRLY WELL ENLIGHTENED CONSUMER AND THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER. FIRST, DO YOU KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE THE POWER CONSUMPTION AND THUS THE SAVINGS OF THE DIFFERENT SEER UNITS? USE THIS FORMULA...1 TON = 12,000 BTUS, THUS YOUR 3.5 TON A/C HAS ROUGHLY 42,000 BTUs OF COOLING POWER...42,000 DIVIDED BY 10 SEER MEANS THAT YOUR UNIT BURNS APPROXIMATELY 4200 WATTS PER HOUR. USING THE SAME INFORMATION ABOVE, A NEW 14 SEER UNIT WILL BURN 42,000 / 14 = 3000 WATTS PER HOUR..YOU CAN THEN CALCULATE YOUR BREAKEVEN COST AND WHETHER IT MAKES SENSE TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY ON THE MORE EXPENSIVE 14 SEER..ALSO REMEMBER, WITH ENERGY PRICES AT 57 DOLLARS FOR A BARREL OF CRUDE OIL, ALL OF US ARE GOING TO BE PAYING A LOT MORE FOR ELECTRICITY VERY SOON.

MOST IMPORTANTLY....YOU LIVE IN A VERY HIGH TEMPERATURE SEMI ARID ENVIRONMENT...YOU NEVER INDICATED THIS, BUT ARE YOU USING WATER COOLED CONDENSING UNITS OR AIR COOLED? WATER COOLED UNITS ARE MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE EFFICIENT AND ARE SUITED TO THE SOUTHWEST UNITED STATES..SOME UNITS CARRY EERs OF 16 (WHICH WOULD GIVE THEM A SEER OF PROBABLY 19). THE DIRTY LITTLE SECRET THAT NO ONE IN THE A/C INDUSTRY EITHER KNOWS OR TALKS ABOUT, IS THAT A 14 SEER AIR COOLED CONDENSING UNIT IS ONLY EFFECTIVELY OPERATING AT 12.17 SEER AT 95 DEGREE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE, AND ONLY ABOUT 10.25 SEET AT 115 DEGREE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURES BECAUSE AIR COOLED CONDENSERS BURN 15% MORE POWER FOR EVERY 10 TO 15 DEGREE RISE IN OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE ABOVE THE 82 DEGREE BENCHMARK USED FOR SEER CALCULATIONS....GOOD LUCK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12