gas piping

Thread: gas piping

my company is starting to do gas piping in nc for new construction houses. does anyone know a brand name braze that containes .05% phosphorus and a melting temp above 1000 to meet nc building code.

Whatcha soldering

in a gas line?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Why don't you use Tracpipe or Gastite stainless steel felxible gas piping. It sure can be installed more quickly than brazing copper pipe together and far less joints that could leak.

Is that soft copper or hard copper?

you can use a BCuP 3,5 or trade name silfos 5,15

coolestacman

Maybe I am missing something here but we always use flare fittings on copper gas lines and then only on LP gas. Why would you solder or braze gas lines and are you allowed to use copper with Nat. gas?

I can only speak about my area but yes you can use copper in some apps. I know underground gas lines to lighting and grills is common and approved here,this is all low pressure on the house side of the meter,don't know the actual codes but I know it passes in those configs.

In our area you may use copper on both Nat. and L.P. You may also braze the gas line with 15% silver solder ONLY!

Since CSST came out, that is all we use, unless I'm doing something that can use 3/8" copper.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

If I do a furnace change out and the insp. finds copper on the water heater he won't pass it until all copper is gone. So when we do change outs, I look at the gas lines to everything. No copper allowed here for any nat. gas lines.

We can only use copper on pound systems on nat gas

I can't stand copper with N.G. Fine with L.P. Had a friend who had his cottage burn down 2 weeks after elect was put in. The only thing left was the 400lbs propane tank with a 75% charge left in it. All the copper was gone. Whats to stop the N.G. from venting if the copper lines burn? Steel? Fine. Stainless even better, but copper? Here you could always use copper with L.P. no problem. They only started with N.G. about 10 years ago..see it everywhere now. They only allowed copper with gas because the F.B.N.s as far, as I am concerned. Pressured to cut costs.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Sil-phos NO, PHOS=phosphorus what you need to use is 45% silver solder with flux. It's now allowed for nat gas because nat gas being supplied to U.S. market now doesn't react with copper, it previously did, but joints must be mechanical or silver solder, Again sil-phos not allowed.

The certifiers for Omegaflex Tracpipe showed the photograph of the remains of house that burned downed. The Tracpipe was dangling mid air in the remains and crushed by fallen beams . When pressure tested it didn't leak. Would falling timbers on black iron pipe or copper pipe or tubing be able to still hold pressure with such damage?

[Edited by MechAcc on 03-15-2005 at 03:09 PM]
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.