Hi, I moved into an older house three years ago. The outside unit (I've heard it referred to as the 'Air Handler') is located in a bad area partially blocking access to the side yard. I'm considering moving it about 15' away from the house to a more convenient, sheltered spot. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons I shouldn't do this but wanted to ask just in case there's a way I can do this. All advice welcome.

Thanks,
    two25ml~

If you have a system with an airhandler it's inside. The condenser ouside. They get relocated for a number of reasons like adding a deck or house addition. It's done all the time.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Frankster is correct! however the warranty may be voided if this is done. This may or may not be of concern to you depending on the units age.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Thanks gents!

often if the condensor is moved away from the house, the linesets are run underground. the cold ground around the lines can cause refrigerant to condense and return to the compressor as a liquid and damage it. many manufacturers state a limit on the length of lineset that can be buried. exceeding this length will void the warranty. linesets should be run inside PVC and kept as close to the surface as possible, where the soil is warmer.

a better option would be to move the conedensor to a different location but keep it up against the house to prevent burying the lineset.

Isn't the soil warmer, deeper, below the frost line ?

Originally posted by phosgene
    Isn't the soil warmer, deeper, below the frost line ?
    I guess so.
    If this is just a condenser unit,then wouldn't it be better to have the lines in the cooler place---deeper?
    If a heatpump,then in the warmer place---deeper?

I just hope this guy doesnt have a package system.That would a problem...
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious