Thread: Best of the Best?

Post Likes
    One of the professional members made a statement in one of their replys (not to me) that if you are going to stay in the house buy the best system you can. My son works for Trane is thoroughly convinced that I cannot go wrong by buying the Trane 5-Ton split that is a 19 seer system to replace my 27 year old GE split system. This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it, is it a good system? Are there any drawbacks?
    Brody

Post Likes
    First, I'd do a load calc to know what size a/c you really need.

Trane is a good brand, and the 19i is their top of the line.
    Get the 10 year parts and labor warranty.

What area do you live in, you may never see a payback, even if he gets you a discount.

At 5 tons, it sounds like youo have a large house.
    You may want to do other improvments first, like windows, insulation, and other weatherization.

This should reduce the size unit you need, and save money in both cooling, and heating.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Excellent,advise from beenthere.Also check out http://www.410a.com,before deciding to buy an R22 system.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply Beenthere! I live in N.Alabama, moderate winters, fairly hot & humid summers. I am heating and cooling 4800 Sq Ft and the GE unit that was installed when the house was built in 1978 is a 5 Ton. It seems to do an adequate job but a heat calc has never been done, although I have requested one from a Trane installer.

Post Likes
    Trane is the modern day successor to your old GE unit, if that tells you anything, those old GE's were very well built, there are many around here still going strong.

Ive read here that the 19i's are having some problems, I think the 16i would be a better choice as it has a scroll compressor.

Post Likes

Brody

Am in south Alabama
    Would not go with 19 Seer as you will never get your moneys worth
    I don't believe that you will get yur monies worth out of any system over 13 Seer
    Just my opinion though !

Post Likes
    Thanks Swampfox, the main reason I am replacing the GE unit is that the coils in the air handler have been leaking freon (slowly) to where I have to add a few pounds every spring. I was told the coils can't be replaced. Other than the noisy condenser unit and low seer rating, it's been good.

Post Likes
    Hey Bornriding! That is good advice coming from a neighbor! These are the kind of comments I was hoping for because I don't like overkill unless it's under the hood of my Mustang! Right now my electric bills run right at $300 a month for a total electric house, except I added a couple of gas fireplaces for additional heat, and back up.
    Brody

Post Likes

Brody

Good to hear from another Bama person - neighbor
    But $300.00 cooling bill - too high - how many square feet?

New unit 12 or 13 seer will certainly save you on your monthly bill.

Also, what cooling temp do you keep your thermometer set for, normally ??

Post Likes
    Swampfox, Trane has fixed the problem with the XL19i compressors. But I agree with looking into the XL16i, as it uses R410a. R22 goes bye bye at the end of 2009. Both units come with a 10 year warranty when matched with a Trane airhandler. I've worked with Trane for the past 2 years and fully believe that they're worth the money.

By the way Born, where are you in South AL, we may be neighbors. LOL
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    I agree. I like the 16i. I have done a few of both. I would say go with 410 (16i).

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Thanks to all the repliers. I am now a very informed consumer I think. I do have a question about the R410 coolant. I have heard it has to be used with twice the amount of PSI's than R22. If this is true, have they redesigned all the coils to handle the increased pressure?
    Brody

"The only bad question is the one not asked!"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by brody
    Thanks to all the repliers. I am now a very informed consumer I think. I do have a question about the R410 coolant. I have heard it has to be used with twice the amount of PSI's than R22. If this is true, have they redesigned all the coils to handle the increased pressure?
    Brody

Let's take A/C operating temps of 45 degrees evaporating and 130 degrees condensing. With R22 pressures would run 76/297 and with R410A it would be 130/476. So if "doubling" is the standard, you'd end up with a little over double in suction pressure (152) and less than double in head pressure. A full 118 psi less.

Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Shophound. I am not technically astute enough to understand all that you are saying, but the way I read it there is an increased pressure situation with the R410a.

Post Likes

Brody

Yes, the 410 system operate on much higher pressures than r-22. Thats one reason that I don't like them. Also because they are only a few years old and have not been time tested. Don;t know what to expect.
    Someone on here is saying that the EPA has been looking into 410 due to a number of lawsuits. Don't know that to be right myself, just what I read on this site.
    I, firmy, believe that you can not go wrong by installing an R-22 system.

And duct dr: Am in Dothan. What about u??

Richard

Post Likes
    Shophound. I am not technically astute enough to understand all that you are saying, but the way I read it there is an increased pressure situation with the R410a.
    Doubling = 2 times pressure

R410a has 1.6 times the pressure of R22

Post Likes
    We install many Carrier Puron (410a) systems with no problems to speak of, we have found higher air temps which is good. I was sceptical at first with 410 due to the higher pressures, I got over it. 410 is here to stay like it or not. R-22 will be around for the life of your system (15 years?) so either is a good choice.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    I really appreciate all the responses. I just got hit with a $2000 vet bill for my Dachsunds back surgery so I am going to put my AC replacement project on hold for the time being and just charge up the old system again for another season since it is still running. But, thanks to all of you I will know a whole lot more about what to buy when that time comes again.

Brody

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in