Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One of the professional members made a statement in one of their replys (not to me) that if you are going to stay in the house buy the best system you can. My son works for Trane is thoroughly convinced that I cannot go wrong by buying the Trane 5-Ton split that is a 19 seer system to replace my 27 year old GE split system. This may have been asked before but I couldn't find it, is it a good system? Are there any drawbacks?
    Brody

First, I'd do a load calc to know what size a/c you really need.

Trane is a good brand, and the 19i is their top of the line.
    Get the 10 year parts and labor warranty.

What area do you live in, you may never see a payback, even if he gets you a discount.

At 5 tons, it sounds like youo have a large house.
    You may want to do other improvments first, like windows, insulation, and other weatherization.

This should reduce the size unit you need, and save money in both cooling, and heating.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Excellent,advise from beenthere.Also check out http://www.410a.com,before deciding to buy an R22 system.

Thanks for your reply Beenthere! I live in N.Alabama, moderate winters, fairly hot & humid summers. I am heating and cooling 4800 Sq Ft and the GE unit that was installed when the house was built in 1978 is a 5 Ton. It seems to do an adequate job but a heat calc has never been done, although I have requested one from a Trane installer.

Trane is the modern day successor to your old GE unit, if that tells you anything, those old GE's were very well built, there are many around here still going strong.

Ive read here that the 19i's are having some problems, I think the 16i would be a better choice as it has a scroll compressor.

Brody

Am in south Alabama
    Would not go with 19 Seer as you will never get your moneys worth
    I don't believe that you will get yur monies worth out of any system over 13 Seer
    Just my opinion though !

Thanks Swampfox, the main reason I am replacing the GE unit is that the coils in the air handler have been leaking freon (slowly) to where I have to add a few pounds every spring. I was told the coils can't be replaced. Other than the noisy condenser unit and low seer rating, it's been good.

Hey Bornriding! That is good advice coming from a neighbor! These are the kind of comments I was hoping for because I don't like overkill unless it's under the hood of my Mustang! Right now my electric bills run right at $300 a month for a total electric house, except I added a couple of gas fireplaces for additional heat, and back up.
    Brody

Brody

Good to hear from another Bama person - neighbor
    But $300.00 cooling bill - too high - how many square feet?

New unit 12 or 13 seer will certainly save you on your monthly bill.

Also, what cooling temp do you keep your thermometer set for, normally ??

Swampfox, Trane has fixed the problem with the XL19i compressors. But I agree with looking into the XL16i, as it uses R410a. R22 goes bye bye at the end of 2009. Both units come with a 10 year warranty when matched with a Trane airhandler. I've worked with Trane for the past 2 years and fully believe that they're worth the money.

By the way Born, where are you in South AL, we may be neighbors. LOL
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

I agree. I like the 16i. I have done a few of both. I would say go with 410 (16i).

Thumbs up

Thanks to all the repliers. I am now a very informed consumer I think. I do have a question about the R410 coolant. I have heard it has to be used with twice the amount of PSI's than R22. If this is true, have they redesigned all the coils to handle the increased pressure?
    Brody

"The only bad question is the one not asked!"

Originally posted by brody
    Thanks to all the repliers. I am now a very informed consumer I think. I do have a question about the R410 coolant. I have heard it has to be used with twice the amount of PSI's than R22. If this is true, have they redesigned all the coils to handle the increased pressure?
    Brody

Let's take A/C operating temps of 45 degrees evaporating and 130 degrees condensing. With R22 pressures would run 76/297 and with R410A it would be 130/476. So if "doubling" is the standard, you'd end up with a little over double in suction pressure (152) and less than double in head pressure. A full 118 psi less.

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast