Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What is the wet bulb temp, 14 deg drop with high WB temp can be normal or a 4 ton blower on high spd with 2ton condenser..

Wetbulb, 62deg.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

to docholiday

Some manufacturers recommend going up 1/2 Ton on the coil on high efficiency systems. So a 24,000 Btu condensing could have a 30,000 Btu coil and be sized properly. A 36,000 Btu condensing unit would have a 42,000 btu coil. Because the coils is sized slightly higher for the high efficiency the pressures will be higher than normal.

Does any one else have any info on this.

Re: to docholiday

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    Some manufacturers recommend going up 1/2 Ton on the coil on high efficiency systems. So a 24,000 Btu condensing could have a 30,000 Btu coil and be sized properly. A 36,000 Btu condensing unit would have a 42,000 btu coil. Because the coils is sized slightly higher for the high efficiency the pressures will be higher than normal.

Does any one else have any info on this.

Sometimes it is more than 1/2 ton. Trane has some oddball combos with outdoor units as small as 1.5 tons matched up with 3.5 ton air handlers or coils. I'm sure most other manufacturers have similar setups.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Where did you get the piston? Was it a bryant piston for the coil?
    I've heard of mis-marked and packaged pistons.

Make no mistake, each mfg has a totaly different idea in their mind when they design a system, and no matter what book you look at, neither York, nor Bryant has tested or approved this type of match. The ones who put it together are the the only ones that can be responsible for its performance and reliability. Different mfg's have differernt volumes of refrigerant in their coils. What charging chart do you expect to use? What kind of performance or capacity do you expect to gain or loose?

Coil only mfg's like Allstyle or Benchmark build thir coils with the refrigerant volume, and other OEM specs in mind but Brand versus Brand dont. I understand purposeful mismatching by 1/2 to even a ton, but there is more to it than just saying its done all the time. Mismatchg may work on occasion, thats why people insist its no problem until it jumps up and bites them, and even then, they want to scream they got a lemon because they cant see the forest through the trees.

You can do what you want, I personally dont care but when there is a problem, dont call the mfg and ask them for help when this is done. Also, if the HO didnt want to replace the condesner, a coil that matches the exsisting unit would have been the wiser choice but, somehow, the installers preference or stock over ruled common sense and now the HO is going to suffer as a result.

The piston is Bryant.

The coil is a 3 1/2. The condenser is a 3 ton.

We got a Bryant piston that matches a 3 ton Bryant Condenser.

Which doesn't seem to be what is needed for the York 3 ton condenser.

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Originally posted by docholiday

somehow, the installers preference or stock over ruled common sense and now the HO is going to suffer as a result.
    Somehow???

I would say responsibility lands on the estimator. The person who did the bid probably thought the customer was going to change the condenser and gave a bid for matching equipment. When job was accepted, minus the condenser, no one questioned the material that was supplied.

Yeh, the installer too.

Next on.....

WHEN HACKS ATTACK!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Originally posted by docholiday
    Make no mistake, each mfg has a totaly different idea in their mind when they design a system, and no matter what book you look at
    O Doc your my hero!! If you have never got anything right here before you sure got that right!! I will let Jesse and Wild Bill that you are coming right along with all this A/C stuff
    and that you have become an outlaw of the A/C world.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

doc i think you are right on the mark
    mis match brands and then ask why it dont work daa
    an aspen coil with txv and your done.
    to take a brant coil and mix it with a york condenser and then install a piston for a brant condenser your asking to get bit. why not take a lenox coil put it on a coleman condenser throw away the txv and put in whatever piston i feel like and call it a day. dam it didnt work owell it is lenox and colemans fault not mine.
    cant get more that 10 degree split so lets just keep putting in freon till we get a 20 degree split no wait to much lets take it out. hope he recovered what he took out.
    guy as a helper you have learned a good lesson and you had enough insentive to ask questions at the right place. there are guys in here that know a whole lot more than me and even after 30 years it the i have learned from them in only a few days in here. THANKS GUYS. i just hate when a good helper is showned how to do it right
    did the boss get it to work and what did he do
    do it right the first time or keep going back

Press1,

I should clarify what I meant by installer in this case, I mean installing contractor which incompases the lot from sales to tin knocker. It is somewhere in this group the ball was dropped, then kicked, then popped, then....

I told the installer that I was with to log onto this sight and read the posts. I told him to be ready to be offended.

I may be learning this stuff, new to the trade, but there is one thing I want to know.

Of all of you commenting about being HACKS, I suppose most of you all walked off the job the first time you were asked to do something that may have not been ideal. That must be the reason a lot on here are self employed. I'm sure, and I'm assuming again, the reason that you all have so much knoweledge is because you have been put into situations like this and have had to figure out how to correct the problem.

I am learning from your input. My intent is to learn from those who know, and be able to know better for the next time. I also want to look good to my employer. I may not work for them forever, but I want to know the right way now so I don't get screwed later.

With that said, I have not heard what, if anything, was done to correct the problem. Some of you are saying TXV.

Would that be sized for the condenser?

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast