Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    it seems in jersey being on your own is the thing to do
    even if they dont have a clue
    everyone wants to be a chief and not an indian
    we need to license hvac contractors and make it harder to be on your own. i have lost track of how much schooling and training i have but learned one real lesson
    big differance between side jobs and running a co.
    as a service manager and on the road tech i here all the time when guys bring in the checks each morning. man look at what i just gave you for the boss. if i had a truck it would be mine. not. if they only knew where that monie realy goes and they dont hear when you try to tell them.
    guess we all have to lear a lesson the hard way or not at all

I hear the same thing all the time.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I ran into a guy while doing a waranty service call and got to talking to him. Ends up he owns a hvac company in arizona, I asked how long he has been doing hvac and why he couldnt remount his stat himself, his reply was that he doesnt know a thing about AC but he saw a great oportunity to make a lot of money having a few techs work for him. I dont blame him there is a lack of good companys in AZ, there are also good ones but it is luck of the draw..

Originally posted by cool-blew
    I've noticed that as well, about 5 new guys on there own just this month. Maybe the state makes it too easy to get licensed!?

We have about 60-80K living in our county, and we have about 60 HVAC companies now.

They shouldn't make a test to keep people out of hvac that would just be wrong,they make it so,they know you can do the work but it is just a book test.

Originally posted by coolwhip
    As long as you provide dependable quality service, word gets around and the phone will ring. Here in the metro detroit area there are more companies than carter has pills. No worries though, the hacks will be sifted out.
    We had some big out of state companies come in last year new van,new everything.They are gone now,they didn't make it,they provide dependable quality services to.Just someone forgot to tell them that their was no work in WV.Some of them are on this website sorry guys no one told you I guest it is a write off.

MA Jobs

Here in Massachusetts it seems the hiring is mostly word-of-mouth. Yup, the schools are bulging with students too. HVAC requires the least amount of time to get a job. Electrical/plumbing takes too long for a license.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"--Wayne Gretzky

I agree with everyone that it is to easy to get into due to nolicesnse requirements. Buy I keep hearing here about schools brimming with students. In HVACR News and other periodicle publications about the lack of schools, students, and workers in the industry. What the hay are they talking about.Show me a firefighter that doesn't do hvac on the side.

HVAC Entry Level

I agree, Berad. HVAC can be done part-time, like appliance repair. The media IS saying there's a shortage of techs, but I don't see much hiring in MA. There's a real shortage of good schools, that I know.

Talking

I live in the same area as you I have been with a company for 11 years, The quality of service and install work is unbelievable with some of these newer companys.you need a license to cut hair but to put a gas furnace in you dont need one. I hope the NATE certification will become mandatory to do any work in this field. this will weed out all these fly by nights and IDIOTS!

Originally posted by joker dan
    I live in the same area as you I have been with a company for 11 years, The quality of service and install work is unbelievable with some of these newer companys.you need a license to cut hair but to put a gas furnace in you dont need one. I hope the NATE certification will become mandatory to do any work in this field. this will weed out all these fly by nights and IDIOTS!
    I like your signature line. It's something I've preached for years. The people with nextels are one of several reasons I left the position of a senior tech at my last company. 3 people could trouble shoot. The other 9 people could speed dial.

Tech Quality

I agree with tech quality (lack of). There is a low percentage of qualified students from the start. These schools print diplomas and send them off with no real useful skills. I don't think NATE is the answer. There is such a thing as gas fitting, and plumbing/electrical licenses, also Refrigeration technician license. The need to start making them mandatory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12