stocking motors on my truck
    i wanted to get some input from some of the ac folks on what the least amount of parts to carry on my truck.should i carry around alot of multiple speed condenser moter etc..

What typre of work are you doing? If you are mowing lawns then no I wouldnt carry to many MOTORS , If you had a sourse for parts nearby, you could get a bunch, and carry them with you untill you sell them

Originally posted by t1tech
    i wanted to get some input from some of the ac folks on what the least amount of parts to carry on my truck.should i carry around alot of multiple speed condenser moter etc..
    Depends on what you service and sell. I think I have about 8 motors total on my truck and from those I can usually handle any emergency, but so many units today have to have factory motors to operate properly. Sometimes, I think about just getting a smaller truck and ordering everything because we have to order so many parts anyway. What happened to the days when about 3 motors, some caps, and a hand full of relays was about all you needed??

Bobby

I've never known a tech that's been in the field for any respectable amount of time that couldn't tell you exactly what he wanted on his truck. If you're stocking your own truck then presumably you're running your own business. Stock what you want to stock.

I only carry 1 2 speed condenser fan motor, 5 direct drive blower motors, 1 belt drive blower motor, 3 oil burner motors.

But you might not service the same type of units we do.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

thanks for your replys, as for my business i service residental ac outside of my regular job this helps supplemement income,and im trying to figure if i want to enter the field full time again after 15 yrs of not doing in full time. this is my first question on the forum and this is some thing we didnt have back then. my peace be with you

the days of two motors are over i guess. i carrie three condenser motors 1/4 1/3 1/2 hp
    4 110 v blower and 4 220v blower motors and sevaral diferant brackets and still find i have to order one every now and then
    to cut corners on parts is to waist money you will make up the cost in the long run

Thumbs up

these are awsome responses. i have a 1/8,1/4,1/3,1/2 hp motor 220 all in one, but i dont have a 2 speed which i should,for the condensers that need them. thank again

Somthing to consider....

Warrantees on these units built today are in most cases 5 years. If a motor fails within warranty, it needs to be replaced by the OEM motor. Thats the warranty, part fails, you get a part. The problem is, that if the motor you install fails, the original mfg, cant possibly warrant the motor selected.

For instance... Doe mfg uses a Cox model 3456 fan motor. You dont have one and install a universal 6789 motor. If that fails, the warranty cant come from Doe. They would have given you a Cox 3456 which would sustain the warranty.

Some mfg's will allow their parts department's multi-use motor but not one that is not approved.