some say oil is a fossil fuel, and the peak of production is not far off. others say it is inorganic and essentially limitless and we just need to drill deeper.

Gold's The Deep Hot Biosphere discusses the inorganic theory. Interesting book by a brilliant guy. Some say he plagiarized the Russian geologists.

Lots of books out now on Hubbert's peak and the other school of thought. Off the top of my head, seems like http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net has a list of links and sources. Some say this idea is a Zionist plot to raise the price of oil.

Oh, no!~ is the Z word verboten in GD? mea culpa in that event

Originally posted by batdude
    some say oil is a fossil fuel, and the peak of production is not far off.
    I don't believe it will happen in either of our lifetimes.

Thats not what they were telling us in the 70's

Kind of off subjesct but anybody seen Mobil's new motor oils they have out that you can go either 5000 7500 or 15000 between oil changes. Not sure I would take the risk on any of my vehicles going that long. What do you guys think?

There is plenty

For the taking. Under Iraq and Iran.

ct2 what do you mean? I assume you are referring to the OPEC (Arab) oil embargo, the politically driven event?

This fossil fuel thing!

Nope, I don't believe in it. It has been here from creation. Look at the other planets that have hydrocarbons in liquid or vapor states.

Yeah that fossil fuel idea is just dumb. How many dinos does it take to make 600 trillion barrels of oil times a million?

Mmmm. Sorry but I'm unimpressed with the arguments I mostly see on this thread.

I think that the nature of fossil fuels is well established. Claiming that it can't be because their couldn't have been all those dinasaurs doesn't stand up to reason, in my view. There are huge amounts of coal, for example, which is often permeated with fossil leaf images indicating its biological origin.

The explanation and evidence for oil having a biological origin also seems convincing to me.

Also --- I think the peak oil concerns are real. The problem has been the exponential increases in oil uses over the past decades, including huge new demands by China and India in recent years. If you understand the nature of exponential equations, you know that they grow extremely rapidly over time to virtually unlimited numbers. And that's just what has happened --- we have grown demand to stupefying levels which is finally bumping up against the limits of how much oil can be recovered from oil fields.

Furthermore, existing oil fields are being drained, and it's proving impossible to find new fields easily.

Take a look at the history of oil production in the United States. We used to be the OPEC of the entire world, supplying most of the oil that the entire oil used. Now we are increasingly dependent on foreign oil suppliers, and our oil production dwindles despite enormous investments.

And I'm no environmentalist. I am happy to drain the world of oil and drill anywhere to get it. But that's not going to be enough.

We are looking into an age of perpetual oil shortages and prices that will have to rise high enough to kill off demand and ration oil to people wealthy enough to bid for limited supplies. The alternative is to allocate oil through wars for access to oil at cheaper prices.

Seattle Pioneer