Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    there are many reasons for a control to lockout first i would forget warrenti on the control it seems they are guessing and if you cant fix it replace it seems to be the way they work. we are at a major disavantage on this one hard to say what it is without being there. robershaw did have problems with thier control at one time but they resolve the problem a few years ago so chances are you didnt get one with the problem. i am about to go against something i said in an earlyer post on an other page hehehehe. look for a nate cirtified co with a nate heat tech. this should not be to hard to resolve if the tech has the correct tools. change that milivolt stat first

my bet would be that their is not a flame sensor on that unit. that vintage used the ignitor only to sense flame and it does not do it very well. thier is a "remote flame sensor kit" available that updates it to use a sensor. you can tell if it has one because their will be a metal rod bent at a 90 degree angle on the burner farthest away from the ignitor. the sensor will have a red or orange wire attached to it.

lemme know

kgod

Talking

have them check the gas pressure before the furnace ,most need at least 4" of w.c to operate ,turn on all the other gas appliances during this test so you can seethe lowestit goes.call gas company to adjust the meter up if it falls below 4". i also ran across a ruud furnace that had apressure switch that was sticking closed at times since no diagnosticlights it acted as if the board was dead , no operation with input to the board. as noted before get rid of the millivolt thermostat. hope this helps

The first 2 repairs were wrong if you've got them right.
    Nordyne igniter on a Rheem furnace, amperage might be differant.
    Millivolt thermostat on 24v furnace.
    Either wrong part could cause board failure, any way you shouldn't have to pay if the first replacement board failed in the first year, and shouldn't have to pay if it failed again - its under warranty.
    $1700 you could have a new furnace.
    You may in fact need a new furnace, a bad heat exchanger can cause the burner to shut down when the blower comes on.
    Ask them to check gas pressure, temp rise, and use a combustion analizer.

[Edited by rsmith46 on 03-13-2005 at 11:51 PM]

is the furnace & elect system properly grounded?

The suggestion about disconnecting the thermostat and jumping from R to W was the first thing you should try. Does the furnace have a good ground?? Has anyone checked the vent pressure switch? One and One is not making two on this furnace. Should you need to contact Rheem /Ruud (service department) the number is 501-646-4311

Normchris, have you ever taught for ISL in the Wheeling Illinois area?

Originally posted by joeoilman
    is the furnace & elect system properly grounded?
    I have seen flame rectification problems out of these units many times. Sometimes even after the remote flame senser kit installed. Usualy they are in older homes with poor electrical systems. If Hmome has copper plumbing, run a grounding wire from the furnace cabinet to it. If not, but it's in the basement, drive a ground rod into the concrete and ground the furnace to it. I know it sounds hokey, but if nothing else shows up, this will at least eliminate rectification from poor grounding from the list of suspects.

Originally posted by berad
    Normchris, have you ever taught for ISL in the Wheeling Illinois area?
    Nope, not me. I taught in California for a long time and have put on seminars all over the country including Chicago.

I had an instructor named Chris, after reading your profile I thought you might be one and the same.

rclark wrote
    The suggestion about disconnecting the thermostat and jumping from R to W was the first thing you should try. Does the furnace have a good ground?? Has anyone checked the vent pressure switch? One and One is not making two on this furnace. Should you need to contact Rheem /Ruud (service department) the number is 501-646-4311

The phone number is no longer in service anyone have another contact number.

Lightbulb RUUD Service Dept

Start here:
    Linda Collins- 479-646-4311 VP Service

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    an other page hehehehe. look for a nate cirtified co with a nate heat tech.
    we dont have nate up here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast