Thread: Goodman Startup Issue

Post Likes
    I had two 13 seer Goodman evap's installed 2 years ago to go with my Carrier condensor's. While I've been concerned about the quality of the Goodman units, I'm more concerned that the installers did not resize the piston or coil. They claimed that since I was replacing equivalent tonnage condensors, this was not needed. I now know this was wrong, but kind of late.

Anyhow, during my initial startup this week in preparation for the hot AZ summer, the fan motor on one of the two units failed to spin though the compressor worked. I called the AC company and all it took was a simple nod with a screwdriver. Cost was $75. Everything seems to work now at every startup.

My question is, is this normal or indicative of an issue? The motors are standard AO Smith issue.

The other thing that got me was my inquiry about replacement. The unit has a 5 year parts warranty, but labor is no longer covered. The AC guy told me it would be about $400 labor to replace the fan motor because of the paperwork and the fact that they do not stock parts and would have to take the motor off, drive to the parts store, get an exchange and then come back, all the time while on the clock. This cannot be standard protocol, is it?

Thanks
    Ken

Post Likes

Hmm

Well first of all, sounds like the motor was just a loose wire or something of that nature. that kinda stuff happens. Now did they lnstall 13 seer condensors as well? If not then you have future problems to come. As far as the motor goes the serial and model #s are your warranty. You do not have to use the install co. to cover your warranty issues. I would suggest you call around and ask other service companies. Sigler and Reeves is the carrier parts supplier in the valley. Goodman motors, any service co. should stock one that will work. Cool Daze!

Post Likes
    First of all mixing brands like that is a big no no, especially with equipment over 10 SEER, there is no such thing as a 13 SEER evap as the system is rated as a whole, when you mix equipment like that there is no telling what size piston you would need, I would suggest you try another service company.

As far as the fan motor I have found A O Smith motors arent the best, Ive had to replace dozens of them under 5 years old, hopefully the new one will be a different brand

Post Likes
    As it was stated, there aren't 13 SEER coils per se. But there are high efficiency coils. They tend to be bigger and tend to have thermal expansion valves integrated into them. Those valves take the place of the piston. If the tonnage of the coils matches the condensers and if the coils have the aforementioned valves instead of pistons, then don't worry about it.

Protocols vary from company to company. I don't exactly blame them for wanting to charge for the time involved in changing out that motor. But at the same time the price mentioned seems a bit steep. If you think so then it's up to you to find an alternative.

Post Likes
    How do you know what piston to put in? The size Goodman would want or the size Carrier would want? I looked at 3 brands once, all 3 wanted different size pistons for the same size system. One more reason mismatches are a problem.

Post Likes
    I would look for a different contractor.
    What carrier dealer in AZ wouldn't stock condenser motors??
    400 is high for labor only.

Post Likes
    i think you should find a new service co. motors are common on trucks and should not be a big deal to change price seems a little high to as far as warrenti it is just paper work at the office for credit on the part. to get high efiencie from a coil with a pistom correct size or not is rare most have a txv installed in place of the piston either in the field or at the factorie
    should have it checked. carrier might be able to cross referance for you and see what the seer is

Post Likes

Post Mis Matched Period

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    i think you should find a new service co. motors are common on trucks and should not be a big deal to change price seems a little high to as far as warrenti it is just paper work at the office for credit on the part. to get high efiencie from a coil with a pistom correct size or not is rare most have a txv installed in place of the piston either in the field or at the factorie
    should have it checked. carrier might be able to cross referance for you and see what the seer is
    There is no ARi rating for a Goodman Coil and a Carrier system.

Sound like the fellow didn't want to provide warranty. $400.00 for an OEM motor if it included parts/labor is about right for complete install for a licensed, insured, bnded company... You'll find the price perhaps lower but at tbest they might be licensed, their employees aren't insured, and you'll get what you pay for...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in