Flex duct outer cover deteriorating
    Attic flex duct outer gray plastic cover is deteriorating, splitting and falling off. The flex duct is 22 years old now. I can not feel any air leakage thru the fiber glass insulation where the outer cover has fallen off.

If the outer cover is doing this is that a sign that the inner plastic may be splitting too?

Is this a big enough concern to replace all the flex duct in the attic?

How long does flex duct typicalling last in an attic?

Also may be selling the house in the next year or two. Home inspecters will they require me to replace flex duct that the outer cover is falling off even though there is no air leakage?

It deteriorates when exposed to UV (sunlight.) Replace all of it with foil flex R6 or better.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

I agree Pro, and flex over 15 years old should be replaced anyway.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

The inner and outer liner are very different materials. It's entirely possible for the inner liner to be in good shape. If you're not sure, go pull a diffuser and poke your finger at the inner liner. If your finger pops right through with little resistance then it's garbage.

I don't know that a home inspector can require anything. But they will call it and it will be an issue - and rightly so. Wrap it or get it wrapped with plastic. The trick is to make it look professional. Make it air tight and pretty and no one will care. Home inspectors are inherently very superficial. If it looks good they assume it is good. And at least as far as the outer liner is concerned, if it looks good then it IS good.

I believe that particular ductwork had instructions not to install it in attics and away from UV light.
    Somehow the instructions were ignored and it got by millions of contractors and inspectors.
    I see it all the time. Folks think squirrels or chipmunks got at it...
    Replace it all and be done with it.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

The gray flex duct with the outer cover falling off is on the south exposer. That is where the sun would beat the most and set in the evening. The north side of attic flex duct work is not deteriorating. Makes sense that it is deteriorating from the uv rays. I did not know that UV rays would go thru the roof shingles, decking and get into the attic. I figured it was from the extreme heat in the attic but it is only deteriorating on the flex duct running uder the south roof.

The UV rays don't but radiant heat does. The outer liner was baked to death.

"And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    That's horrible.

I hate going to do a change-out and see this type of mess...and it was never entered in the bid to replace it.
    Get back to work.

sounds like you need new flex

Thumbs up

it has been awhile,but there was a recall on the gray flex duct,all has come to an end.as one responder had said to replace with r6 value or better which can only be purchased at the ac supply house.