Thread: Flex Duct

Post Likes
    In a crawl space environment should insulated flex duct be left on the ground that is protected with a vapier barrier or should the flex duct be supported from the floor joists? If the flex duct should be supported from the floor joists what is the best way to provide adequate support and what is the proper lenght between the supports.

In an attic environment should insulated flex duct be above or below blown-in insulation.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Flex in crawl must be off ground and supported at least every 4 feet per man. instructions however it must be supported to keep it straight. In the attic If properly supported I prefer under/in the blow in, but some juristsions or inspectors won't allow it.

[Edited by hvac-tech-lane on 03-12-2005 at 03:16 PM]

Post Likes
    hvac-tech-lane

thanks for the reponse - what is the best was to support it off the ground?

thanks

Post Likes
    Flex duct hanging strap.

Post Likes
    Whatv would be an acceptable method of attaching fittings to Flex?
    The method I have seen has been to pull out the inner liner( after cutting to length) and taping the inner liner to the flex and taping the outer and inner to the fitting

there has to be a better method!

Post Likes
    BOCA AND Icc call that flex duct cannot be ran more than 12 Ft.

Post Likes
    Big, beg to differ, Flex duct has no length maximums since it is a Class 1 duct, but flex connector has the 14' rule. Big difference between the two.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Post Likes

Hmm Flex

Big. What is "BOCA AND Icc call that flex duct cannot be ran more than 12 Ft".

Vernp. What is the"flex connector 14' rule"

Flex is suppost to supported every four feet min.Per manufactures specs(some say 5').THe duct is to be supported such that the "sag" does not exceed 1/2"per foot of spacing.Inside radius of any turn shall be no less than 1/2 the diameter.Hanging strap used shall be no less 1 1/2" wide.Connections to any fitting is to be with a UL 181b-fx tape with a min of two complete wraps.
    Hope this helps.
    41GASMAN

Post Likes
    41gasman

Back to the crawl space application of flex duct - using the flex duct hanging straps - do you secure these straps to the floor joists? and if so what is the best application for this process.

I am having my HVAC system replaced and the existing flex duct was never supported - unfortunately it is laying on the ground - I want to make sure the next contractor does this correctly - he is going to replace all flex duct but never said anything about properly supporting the flex duct

thanks

Post Likes
    When hanging flex I use either roofing nails through a folded over twice tab of the strap, or about 3, 1/2 inch crown by 5/8 leg 16 gauge staple shot with a senco air gun.
    For attaching duct about 4 or 5 wraps of tape with a half over lap extending the tape at least 1 full width onto the collar or fitting, and extending past the end of the metal for the liner then a duct zip tie over the insulation centered at the tape joint.

Post Likes
    hvac-tech-lane

Many thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in