Trane vs Amer Standard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1

    Hmm

    Great forum. I have seen Trane listed many times as one of the many prefered heating systems. I am curious as to why I see Am Stanard listed rarely. Isn't it true they are both basically the same?

    Also, I currently have two quotes. Both happen to be for American Standard and are within $100.00 of each other. One is for a 2-stage 60,000 btu unit(a heat loss was done with this quote) and a 2-stage 80,000btu unit. I live in Northern Indiana. Is it possible the 80,000 btu unit is overkill?

    I also have a quote for a 2-stage 60,000 btu Rheem unit for $1000.00 less. Is there any reason I should not consider this unit?

  2. #2
    same equipment differant name. american standard bought trane company about 8 - 10 years ago.

    buy trane usually cheaper and same equipment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,824
    Trane and A-S indoor units are 100% identical. They should not be $1000 more than a comparable Rheem however. If you are looking at 2 stage 90s, they will be more because of the variable speed inducer. Overall I'd find the Rheem more reliable of late.

    Usually the smaller bid is the one with the heat loss calc done. The guy too lazy to do it will bid big to be safe. I hate seeing furnaces oversized, cut it close. Oversizing effectively lowers AFUE.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    4,422
    put in the Rheem and put that $1000 in your pocket. or send me half.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,841
    Originally posted by tinner73
    put in the Rheem and put that $1000 in your pocket. or send me half.

    You get what you pay for.

  6. #6
    So...framehvac...what are you saying? Do you believe I will get my moneys worth of performance and satisfaction with the more expensive option? I want my installer to make a profit but I do not want to overpay for equipment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,841
    Originally posted by mitch11mm
    So...framehvac...what are you saying? Do you believe I will get my moneys worth of performance and satisfaction with the more expensive option? I want my installer to make a profit but I do not want to overpay for equipment.

    I just hate it when they say Rheem they have alot of problems with them they are junk.There is so many threads on what to buy just go look at what everyone has said in the past.We can fight all day on the name here its not worth it sorry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,157
    Mitch: have you gone to the web site of "consumer reports.com and looked at the results of the testing they do on every type of HVAC system and considered any of that information?

    or the energy star web site?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,841

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    4,422
    c'mon on frame....i'm on a roll today for what it's worth Consumer Reports ranks....Trane #1, Rheem#2. they are both good brands. i'm saying Trane is no way $1000 better.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,841
    Originally posted by tinner73
    c'mon on frame....i'm on a roll today for what it's worth Consumer Reports ranks....Trane #1, Rheem#2. they are both good brands. i'm saying Trane is no way $1000 better.

    How much do you get to push Rheem on each thread?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    4,422
    frame...acually zero. i'm all big commercial all the time. do you think Rheem owes me some money now? we install a lot of huge Trane units Intellapack and such. Rheem 10 seer with a scroll compressor.........mmmmmmmmm Rheem.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,841
    Originally posted by tinner73
    frame...acually zero. i'm all big commercial all the time. do you think Rheem owes me some money now? we install a lot of huge Trane units Intellapack and such. Rheem 10 seer with a scroll compressor.........mmmmmmmmm Rheem.

    Yes!Anyone that sales rheem or pushs it,they should pay you alot of money.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event