To have Congressmen and Senators

. . . who are truly interested in getting things done, I offer the following suggestions:

1. Make the annual salary a per diem basis. Any money made from any public appearance or speech while a member of the House or Senate, will be deducted from your annual salary.

2. While Congress and the House is in session, there will be NO vacations, trips, junkets, etc. If you miss a day, you must bring a doctors’ note or you will not be paid for that day.

3. Prior to voting on a bill, all members will be required to make available to the public, a hand-written (in your own hand-writing) synopsis of the upcoming bill to show that you have read and understand its’ content. Votes on all bills must be either yes or no. Failure to vote will forfeit the per diem pay until a vote is cast.

4. Any and all laws passed by the Senate or the Congress will apply, without exception, to all members of the House and Senate, past, present and future. By law, members of the House and Senate will not be allowed any benefits of any kind that are not available to the general public.

5. Turn the Capital Building parking lot into a trailer park. Rent will be based on the members most recently filed 1040. If you chose to live elsewhere, it will be totally at your own expense.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

I posted this in another thread, but it works here too:

We need to end politics as a career, NOW! One term maximum, and cut their salaries in half to make it less attractive to be a politician.

This, I think would help to get things going in the right direction, but it will never happen.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!!

I believe that it comes down to two different attitudes. There are those who seek political office as a means of serving their country and there are those who seek political office for the sake of holding a political office.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Personally I think we should hang every one of them and phtograph the even. Then hang those photos in the halls of Congress and the Senate building. But a nice little not on them like "The last congress who ignored the will of the people" or something. then hire the new guys under the rules fixacr mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave8OH1 View Post
    We need to end politics as a career, NOW! One term maximum, and cut their salaries in half to make it less attractive to be a politician.
    Ever known of a poor or even a real middle class politician? I don't think salaries matter much, it's the power and the cont(r)acts made while in office and the lifetime benefits. Remove the lifetime benefits and give a two consecutive term limit.

Career politician's need to go away, but we as a country are so ignorant we keep voting the same moron's in, and then even in within the government the seniority that takes place needs to end.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/