Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Question

I need the definition of "Head Feet".

I think the circulator on my system may be too small. Looking at the TACO 0xx-F5 data sheet, the graph show GPM vs. Head Feet. I think I understand the graph. I'm just not sure what Head Feet refers to.

Also, I need to know the recommended flow thru the following Buderus boilers:

G234x-45
    G124x-25

Post Likes

It is "feet of head" not head feet. Are you actually in the heating and cooling business?

Post Likes

Hmm What is

NormChris: I'm a homeowner. The graph on the TACO data sheet says "Head-Feet". So, your saying that "Head-Feet" is just a shorter way of saying "Feet of Head". OK. What does that mean? I have at least 20' between the boiler and the nearest radiator. Is that 20 "Feet of Head"?

Post Likes
    The board has factions that are very reluctant to help those they view as Do-it-yourself - the board policy says its takes business away from local HVAC contractors. In most cases you will simply be ignored but in some rare cases you could be verbaly attacked.

If you have a technical background and out of the blue start asking deep technical HVAC questions, independent of your skill, ability to learn or intelect you will be asked if you are in the trade.

Now that you honestly stated you are a homeowner (implying you are not), you might give those that just like to help people a little more incentive to do so, by eloborating on your situation. Your general skills or are in some similar trade etc. Do not give out private information.

Advice: Never ever post anything close to your real name on an internet board. Angry, Terminator (the movie) people could track you down.

With all that dire stuff out of the way I hope someone can help you.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    The HVAC Talk search engine is a good source also, though its fussy about strings

To make things confusing the board policy says homeowners are welcomed - some interpret that as meaning only if they generate business or were victims of poor servicce.

Post Likes
    Yep. There's virtually no question that hasn't been asked. There's virtually no answer that can't be found with a Google or HVAC-Talk search. But then if homeowners or even the HVAC tradesmen stopped asking questions that have already been answered this would be a mighty slow board. But we need not worry. I have every confidence that the 342,457th question about which brand is best is just around the corner.

Post Likes
    Hoffa: thanks for the explanation and the tip.
    Irascible: thanks for the link.

I guess my biggest fault is that I'm an engineer, but I don't work in HVAC. As with anything (i.e., stereo, computer, car, gastro-intestinal systems) when something doesn't work the way I expect it to, I like to learn more about it. In the mean time, here's my situation (some of you may have seen this before):

1 circulator, TACO 007-F5, 1/25hp, 3250rpm, pushing into the boiler.

Installed radiation:

Zone1, 60’ of bb (x600BTUH max radiated capacity = 36000), 120’ of pipe excluding bb, serving 850sqft to be heated

Zone2, 60’ bb (36000 max radiated), 90’ pipe, 600sqft

Zone3, 60’ bb (42000 max radiated), 50’ pipe, 400sqft

Zone4, 30’ bb (18000 max radiated), 90’ pipe, 330sqft

Zone5, 30’ bb (18000 max radiated), 50’ pipe, 220sqft

House Totals: 240’bb (144000 max radiated), 400’ pipe, 2400sqft, approx 23 gal in pipe & radiators plus 6 gal in boiler.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hoffa
    The HVAC Talk search engine is a good source also, though its fussy about strings

To make things confusing the board policy says homeowners are welcomed - some interpret that as meaning only if they generate business or were victims of poor servicce.

Homeowners are welcome to participate. Within the parameters of the forum rules, which, again, can be located in my signature line.

DIY questions are not permitted, and this is well publicized here, including in the link you MUST click to get to this forum:

Hyperlink tag to the Residential HVAC forum at HVAC-Talk.com:
    Residential HVAC
    Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY questions, please read Site Rules

That's copied and pasted from the Main page of this website.

I fail to see why, hoffa, you contribute nothing to this site other than to take every single opportunity that you can to try and misinterpret the forum rules. You obviously have some sort of agenda, and you're obviously posting under a "new" username. What exactly is your problem?

Click this link to see all the threads that Hoffa has posted to. He attempts to cause trouble and ill-will in every single one of them.

The strangest part of this hole thing is, that mark115's question here is not a DIY question, but a simple request for a definition to a technical term. ONe poster asked if he was in the business, and I don't think that (knowing Norm for all these years,) he intended to NOT answer the question, but that he was looking for a baseline to start on HOW to answer the question.

Feet of head, is simply a pressure measurement, based against friction.

To find feet of head/head feet/feet of water, measure highest pressure drop piping circuit in feet, (Usually the longest run, but not always) multiply by .06 .

The answer is your "head feet".

Include the length of BB element in your measurements.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mark115

Also, I need to know the recommended flow thru the following Buderus boilers:

G234x-45
    G124x-25
    I believe, off the top of my head, that both of these are very capable of 14 GPM. I'll try and find my Buderus lit, but there are generally no flow recommendations other than keep it under the max...

Post Likes
    With due respect and politeness Dave

Read the second post. Your so eager to pick a fight now its affected your vision.

You've been posing as sherif in this town for so long it seems you feel threatend by anyone who has read the rules and interprets them differently.

According to you no one should post on anything, because even the Pros take the advice and "do it themselves".

That aside, I'm glad to see your helping people on the board.

Post Likes
    Oh I should add that I'm encouraged by your change in attitude towards engineers. Last week when rfc4 said he was an engineer, jultzya went non-linear and bashed the guy to death. You raced right by rfc4s public apology for having to break from normal civilty to deal with the hecklers and hugged jultzya engineer bashin.

Old dogs can learn new tricks.

[Edited by hoffa on 03-12-2005 at 02:13 AM]

Post Likes

Lightbulb

I'm selling tickets to this one!

ROUND TWO

Post Likes
    Hoffa, you have signed up under two names "rfc4" and "hoffa". Under both names you have broken the site rules and caused problems. Please be aware that the rules apply to you too.
    Any member who signs up under a new name will be banned from the site.
    Good bye.

Boss

Post Likes
    What was up with him anyway?
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ct2
    I'm selling tickets to this one!

ROUND TWO

Hah! Ended at end of the first round. A TKO.

Now, I wonder where Hoffa (aka rfc4) is going to go to get his Trane Furnace and A/C advice? Maybe he will have to call in a contractor?

[Edited by MikeJ on 03-12-2005 at 09:06 AM]

Post Likes
    Should I start a new thread?

The Buderus installation manuals are available on line. There is a Pressure drop diagram, but it is not referenced in the dialogue. For G234, 17.6 GPM seems to be important. (It's the only mid-point value shown.) For G124, 10 GPM is the only point shown, but since the diagram uses a log scale, I'm not sure that it has any real significance other than reference.

Max operating pressure for both models is 58psi.

Thoughts?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Boss
    Hoffa, you have signed up under two names "rfc4" and "hoffa". Under both names you have broken the site rules and caused problems. Please be aware that the rules apply to you too.
    Any member who signs up under a new name will be banned from the site.
    Good bye.

Boss
    Attaboy Boss, thanks!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mark115
    Should I start a new thread?

The Buderus installation manuals are available on line. There is a Pressure drop diagram, but it is not referenced in the dialogue. For G234, 17.6 GPM seems to be important. (It's the only mid-point value shown.) For G124, 10 GPM is the only point shown, but since the diagram uses a log scale, I'm not sure that it has any real significance other than reference.

Max operating pressure for both models is 58psi.

Thoughts?
    You're right on those flowrates.

I think that there should probably be more than one circ on your system, and that if the existing one is in the boiler return, (Pumping into the boiler) it's definitely not piped the way that I personally would've done it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by hoffa

Homeowners are welcome to participate. Within the parameters of the forum rules, which, again, can be located in my signature line.

DIY questions are not permitted, and this is well publicized here, including in the link you MUST click to get to this forum:

Hyperlink tag to the Residential HVAC forum at HVAC-Talk.com:
    Residential HVAC
    Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY questions, please read Site Rules

That's copied and pasted from the Main page of this website.

I fail to see why, hoffa, you contribute nothing to this site other than to take every single opportunity that you can to try and misinterpret the forum rules. You obviously have some sort of agenda, and you're obviously posting under a "new" username. What exactly is your problem?

Click this link to see all the threads that Hoffa has posted to. He attempts to cause trouble and ill-will in every single one of them.

The strangest part of this hole thing is, that mark115's question here is not a DIY question, but a simple request for a definition to a technical term. ONe poster asked if he was in the business, and I don't think that (knowing Norm for all these years,) he intended to NOT answer the question, but that he was looking for a baseline to start on HOW to answer the question.

Feet of head, is simply a pressure measurement, based against friction.

To find feet of head/head feet/feet of water, measure highest pressure drop piping circuit in feet, (Usually the longest run, but not always) multiply by .06 .

The answer is your "head feet".

Include the length of BB element in your measurements.
    You are right dave, I was going to answer the question after first getting "a baseline" as to where I best begin. If you read my posts regularly you know I often do that.

However, after watching this thread begin to turn "sour" I decided to bow out and let others answer the poster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in