Thread: Tempstar vs. Carrier + Lennox --"sales spin"

Post Likes

Question

Great Site!
    Upgrading HVAC unit (gas) Three contractors=Three quotes Tempstar is 33% less than Carrier+Lennox
    Carrier guy says Tempstar is basic builders grade to Carrier.
    "can't compare um"
    Lennox says it's LOUD and will not last as long.
    "won't hold up"
    Units are all 92%+ and 14seer /two stage-Variable speed
    top shelf for brand
    I'm "ass"uming they are all going to do a quality install!?
    I'm in the "sales spin zone"

Post Likes
    The first of April, cool cash starts, (for those participating) makes that jump from the single speed comp. to a two speed 18SEER a little easier to swallow!

I've done a lot of them Tempstars, with good results for the slightly le$$ option!

Post Likes
    HVAC contractors are similar to car salesmen: They sell the equipment of which they are dealers. So, obviously, they're gonna try to convince you that the other "brand" doesn't meet the quality standards of their "brand". Wouldn't you? After all, they're given incentives & what not to sell their particular "brand", such as, trips to exotic locations.

Go with who ever you're more comfortable with. You know, the guy that made you feel the most loved.

Post Likes
    The Carrier and Lennox guys were smooth.
    The Tempstar guy was a down to earth, one man show.

Post Likes
    Everyone has their own opinion. Be sure you are comparing like models as each of the 3 you mention have builder and premium units. With what you are looking at, it would be the high end of all 3 brands. Tempstar is owned by United Technologies, as is Carrier. Same factories, totally different products. And no, Tempstar is not a cheaper Carrier. It is the premier brand of its division.

The Tempstar 14 SEER has the special sound deadening top and 2 speed condenser fans. Sound level on low speed fan would beat the Carrier & Lennox, on high would be comparable. All 3 are QUIET. The Tempstar outdoor unit has a 5 year replacement warranty if the comp dies, Carrier & Lennox don't. All 3 use a Copeland scroll.

Furnaces are a tossup in my book. Tempstar has stainless steel heat exchanger, other 2 are aluminized. I don't care for the controls of any of them. Tempstar has the Smart Valve, Lennox uses the Intell-ignition and Carrier uses their own stuff. Buy an extended warranty on any of them

Really boils down to dealer. If you are looking at high end equipment, you are looking pretty similar stuff. Do you like the "smooth" guys or the one man show?

Post Likes
    The Tempstar compressor has a 10 yr warranty when installed with a matching indoor evap coil.

The Tempstar is a quality unit when you are looking at their high end equipment, which you are doing.

The Tempstar is quiet and will last if installed by a quality contractor. Get the best installer/company that you can find! As always, that will yield you the best quality, comfort and savings!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input.
    Why do you think it's so much cheaper? 33%
    Less overhead/oneman operation?

Lennox and Carrier say it's a "cheaper product", but the ratings and warranties are basically the same.????

How is the Lennox Pure Air (PCO-12C) system?

Post Likes
    The Tempstar probably is less due to the smaller company selling it. I've seen the prices locally, they aren't cheap.

Some of these "smooth" salesman start very high to see if you'll buy at that price. If not, they have plenty of room to come down if that's what it takes.

Post Likes
    I would go with the guy you are comfortable with .... which sounds like the Tempstar guy. You will not be disappointed with the Tempstar.

Post Likes
    Install 'tempstar' exclusively. Have been installing them for 14 years. Will put 'Tempstar' up against Lennox or Carrier any day. With Lennox & Carrier, you are paying for name - why they costs more.

Post Likes
    Thanks.
    Do you know if you can control humidity levels, if I have a Tempstar 92% (two cycle-var sp.)Aprile-Aire(550) and a Honeywell Prog. Thermo.?
    2500s.f. house + basement

Post Likes
    Most VS furnaces, slapping a simple humidistat in the return duct hooked to the dehumidify terminals on the board will slow the blower in humid weather in the summer. Carrier & White-Rodgers make stats that will do such a function and handle the humidifier.

Post Likes
    to be honest i service all three brands install mostly lenox and trane. they are all basicaly the same and have thier own parts you can only get from them. as far as price goes thhat is dealer option what ever they charge to install thier product. warrenti is a nother factor who has the best one. a good lenox dealer will throw in a ten year parts and labor warrenti with the price. i cant speek for the other products because i am not sure just what they offer. the real question to me is we can all say witch one is better or worse and the product we deal with is always better. like i said truth they are all three good units and names and have good reputations with and good tech suport behind them. so who seems to be the one you trust and think will give you the best job for you monie is the important thing. good luck sometime price isnt as important as who installs and services the system check out the contractor and get referencies then dicide witch one most soots your needs

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input!
    What's the standard warranty/service contract for new sales?
    -two service calls a year(start up ac/heat) with a ten year warranty parts/labor?
    STAYING WITHIN THE RULES!
    What percentage of the total cost- should I expect to pay?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in