Thread: Dependability of: Lennox vs Trane vs Carrier

Post Likes
    I am the original owner of a 17 yr old home. I want to replace the original Ruud a/c unit and inside furnace/blower. I live in NW Georgia so super-high efficiency is not my top priority. Of the 3 brands I mention in the subject line, I would like to know which is the most dependable. I've talked to a trusted, veteran HVAC tech that services many brands and he mentioned not to choose Carrier because they aren't made as well as they used to be due to using cheaper materials, etc. The co. he works for only deals with commercial accounts so he has no vested interest in steering me away from any particular brand.
    I turn to this forum to get a much broader view and opinion. Your help is appreciated.

Post Likes

Trane is the best,but you will see alot of post that don't like trane here.I would go with Trane or Amana no rheem.

Post Likes
    What about a Maytag?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by quickone
    What about a Maytag?

Maytag is very good & they are stainless steel to.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by framehvac

Trane is the best,but you will see alot of post that don't like trane here.I would go with Trane or Amana no rheem.
    What's wrong with Rheem?

I'd go with whichever contractor will do the best job installing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jmas65
    Originally posted by framehvac

What's wrong with Rheem?

Thats right,its not really the contractor,he will not be the one puting it in its about the installer.

As Rheem goes I have just had bad luck with it,I don't know anyone that likes it sorry.

Post Likes
    It would be helpful to know why you would prefer one over the another. thanks

Post Likes
    Trane, Amana & Lennox use the White-Rodgers Intell-ignition. Boy we've replaced a lot of them since they came out. A-S/Trane still has a bulletin out that will replace the old ones well out of the original warranty.

EVERYTHING, not just Carrier, is cheaper made these days. Buy a 10 year parts & labor warranty on whatever you buy.

FWIW, the last 2 I did for friends have been Rheem/Ruud products.

Post Likes
    FWIW, the last 2 I did for friends have been Rheem/Ruud products.

So they could save money right BaldLoonie.

Post Likes
    You are actually looking for the installation dependability!

You tell me, aren't you more concern about longevity? should equipment dependability supersede a proper installation (really hard to find)? Wouldn't a proper install produce longevity, comfort, and value? anyway, it should with a Pro!

Did you know that lemons are created by poor installers?

Post Likes
    I would check out a reputable reporting agency to see how they rate different brands. Like maybe consumers report or others. I agree that alot has to do with installation though, but there are reasons some brands are more reliable. Some furnace makers want to help educate their dealers to prevent callbacks which in return helps make their brand more reliable. For example providing them with training and educational tools to make sure that the product is installed to their standards. Some brands have different marketing ideas and they maybe out of touch with the mainstream. Also watch out for cheaper models that are downgrades aka builders models. You might not be comparing apples to apples.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Looks like its amana or American Standard which is the same as trane.

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean by dependability but of the three brands you mentioned I would choose Trane first and Carrier last.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Not sure what you mean by dependability but of the three brands you mentioned I would choose Trane first and Carrier last.
    Me to.

Post Likes
    We use to install Lennox only for years,now we started installing Carrier.Not as dependable as Lennox in my opinion.We had very good luck with all of Lennox's stuff,whether it be oil or gas,just had very few problems with them.

Post Likes
    Thanks for taking time to post your opinions. I would agree that the installer probably makes a world of difference and that several brands are more than acceptable. I hadn't considered Amana but it comes into the picture now. I haven't seen any comment on the Maytag other than that it is good and has a stainless steel case.
    This decision is much more difficult than buying a car, in my opinion.

Post Likes

Red face

Well Carrier was bought by Sears Sears was bought by

K-Mart so you buy it there! Train is sold at Home Depot

buy those there!

Better buy a Lennox there sold by Certified Dealers

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rosc
    Train is sold at Home Depot

buy those there!

I hope you don't tell your customers that, because it is absolutely false.

Try checking your facts a little.

The only Trane equipment you can find at a Home Depot is display stuff that is provided by the independant Trane dealer that serves that store. The transaction is with the Trane dealer, as is the installation. It is not sub contracted by Home Depot like some of thier other things are. Home Depot does not stock any Trane equipment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in