I'm hoping to get some info on my boiler. I have searched the net and have not found anything yet. I have been in the house about 1 1/2 years. It was built in 86-87 and has a Stelrad boiler. It has a gray case with orange front with an orange Riello Mectron burner. It's oil. I don't know if it's cast iron or steel and I can't find a manual or model number on it.

When I got the annual service by my oil company last year, they said it needed to be "re-lined". When another tech from the company came out to do the re-lining (I wasn't there either visit) my wife had him call me when he was in the house. He told me this costs $250 and has to be done every year. They suggested a new boiler at $3800. I told him to not do anything because the first guy who did the service said it still checked out at 86% efficiency and was operating properly. The first guy did replace a piston that fed oil to the burner.

Prior to that service and twice in the last week this year, the burner has required resetting to start it when it stopped.

I guess I'm asking for three things: 1) Can anyone identify the boiler model and where I can get info on it? 2) What is re-lining and is it necessary? 3) Does it sound like I need a new boiler?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Joel

The re-lining may be the firebox. If this is the case a new firebox or a kaeowool blanket can be used. I disagree with the yearly deal if in fact it is the burner box. This is primarily the target wall inside the boiler that the burner flame hits, if it has crumbled away you can burn up the boiler wall. I would ask exactly what they plan to re-line and why. Pricing seems to be reasonable for the blanket or a new firebox (quickie box). As far as the need for a new boiler, I think we would have to see the system, your efficiency rating is just the burners efficiency not the boiler. New boilers have less mass heat quicker and require less fuel to get to temperature. Having a load calculation on your home will determine the btu's needed to heat your home efficiently. The boiler price seems too cheap, however priceing is not supposed to be mentioned on this forum. Good luck, hope this helps. Michael
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

If it's the firebox that needs relining, have it relined, but it certainly doesn't need to be done every year. If it turns out that they are in fact talking about relining the firebox, find a new service company.

Thanks for the quick replies. I realized after my post that it included prices. I apoligize for that, I was just speaking about them for background on my problem, not asking for quotes or anything. I tend to believe it is the firebox they are speaking of. The guy who recommended the re-lining honestly I didn't get a good vibe from him. It was another guy that said the yearly thing. I'm happy with these guys for oil delivery but maybe I should get someone else out for service this year.

Originally posted by joelh
    Thanks for the quick replies. I realized after my post that it included prices. I apoligize for that, I was just speaking about them for background on my problem, not asking for quotes or anything. I tend to believe it is the firebox they are speaking of. The guy who recommended the re-lining honestly I didn't get a good vibe from him. It was another guy that said the yearly thing. I'm happy with these guys for oil delivery but maybe I should get someone else out for service this year.
    Please understand that we are not saying that the relining is not needed. It may very well need to be done. It just doesn't need to be done yearly. I have installed boilers that are ten years old now and the target wall is still in good shape.

Stelrad is a European radiator manufacturer, that makes some very nice radiation. I have never heard that they made a boiler, though. Can you post a model number off the boiler, and maybe some pictures?

They DO have a website: http://www.stelrad.com/

As you can see, they make some very (Pricey) desingner raidiation products, most of which are desigend for use with the ultra-low temperature water used in European hydronic systems.

If this boiler was made by them, I'd have an inkling that it's most likely a steel boiler, either horizontal firetube or of the scotch marine design.

I have checked their website. The radiators were all I found except their Stelrad Ideal boilers which I think are a small wall-mounted boiler that looks like it's mainly European. I could not find a model number anywhere I looked on my boiler but I guess I can snap a couple of pictures and post them.

Yeah, that's definitely a predominantly European company.

Post pics, and we'll see what we can figure out.

Like others said, yearly relining shouldn't be necessary.

UNLESS it says to do it in the Installation, Operation and Maintenance manual for the boiler, which I strongly doubt.

I've got boilers out there in the 20 y/o range on their original combustion chambers. A properly setup oil burner, and a Riello in particular can run for a LOOOOOOONG time before needing that type of maintenance.

Relining is generally reserved for a boiler that was firing wrong and putting flame right on the refractory, or one where the combustion chamber got wet, for whatever reason. (Floods, broken pipes, boiler leaks, etc.)

Here's a couple of pictures, hope they help.

Just a test post.