I currently have the following old (27 years) GE units installed in my 4800 Sq Ft home. It's a split unit that services all 4800 sq. ft. here are the GE model numbers if someone has the capability to research these and tell me what the specs are I would sure appreciate it.

GE Air Handler Model # BWE960C100C2
    GE Condenser Model # BWR960A100A1

I am in the process of replacing but have had conflicting information from installers trying to decide on what I am currently running.

Thanks,
    Brody

5 ton system, late 70s, not the bottom unit, next unit up so maybe 7.5 to 8.5 SEER.

Thanks for verifying that BaldLoonie. A Trane installer told me it was an 8 Ton commercial unit and was trying to sell me a 7.5 Ton air handler with two 4-Ton condensers feeding it. A good 5 Ton split should be my route now. This system has been leaking freon in the air handler coils for a few years now and I have just had to recharge every spring to get me through the summer.

I thought that was you. Pretty rare to have 8 ton single phase unit. Don't buy unless the salesman does a careful Manual J heat gain analysis and sells you what you need, not what he erroneously thinks you have!

Thanks again, I need to get someone to do that anaylsis even though the 5 Ton unit seems to have been doing it's job. I am looking at a 15 seer Frigidaire split unit for a replacement.

What type of air filtering system and compressor protection will you be getting with that Frigidaire Brody?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Steve,
    A couple of very good questions for which I have no clue, but since you mentioned it I will have to inquire from the Frigidaire installer. What are your concerns on this?
    Brody

Air filter concerns:

1. Is it easily accessable or do you have to stand on your head in the attic to reach it?

2. Is it a common size that you can find without having to ask Santa's elves to build you 12.

3. Does it fit well in its holder without leaking air around it? Dirty filters tend to lift and twist letting major particles around.

4. Dirty equipment will not deliver the efficiency promised and will prematurely fail. Every advantage you have will become a disadvantage with diry cooling coils, blower wheels, blower motors, drain lines, metal fatigue from overheating etc....

Compressor protection concerns:

1. Is there a TXV?
    2. High & low pressure safties?
    3. Crankcase heat?
    4. Accumulator?
    5. Anti-cycle time delay?
    6. Hard Start Kit

Cheap equipment has none of the above and greatly reduces compressor life.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.