Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I know this is a borderline question but I'm hoping for just a general idea. My boiler has sprung a leak and filling it up with water lasts only about 4 hours before a refill is needed again. I put the call into my plumber but what should I expect? Is this usually a part to fix (pipe, pan?) or am I looking at replacing the whole thing? I know this is a wait till your plumber looks at it question but I am just looking to find out what I should expect if possible.

Time for a new boiler.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

are u sure that the boiler is indeed leaking.

yes I fill it up and when the flames kick on there is leaking onto the floor. I saw the small puddle a few weeks back and I thought it was one of my kids who spilled something but tonight I watched it leak onto the floor.

i am pretty sure they sell a sealer but u should only use as temp fix only may fix if leak is small enough.

well you can tear apart and replace the section that is leaking, in fact if it is a section leaking. maybe leaking between the sections but either way must tear down and check. must figure out if the boiler is worth fixing must concered the age and the condition.

thank you for your input.It is appreciated

What model boiler are you talking about?

In most cases, a leaking boiler results in either a costly repair or replacement\upgrade.Although Boiler sections can be replaced on a Weil McClain unit, the cost of the repairs seldom justify having them done.One of the items your plumber will need to verify is that it is a leaking section of boiler,if it turns out that it is, then you will be faced with the decision to replace or repair,my recommendation would be to replace the unit.

What I have learned over the years in situations like this,is that extensive boiler repairs in leiu of replacement never create a good situation for my customer.

[Edited by fat eddy on 03-10-2005 at 10:44 PM]

Actually ,identifing the source of the leak is your # 1 goal here. Get a good honest boiler man to check it out. If they say replace, get 3 estimates on problem & estimate.
    never say never

Dont use any chemical sealers either. Is this a copper boiler or cast iron? If you dont know , ask. Find that leak.
    never say never

Hang on, slow down a minute. You say your boiler is leaking, maybe so maybe not. There is a bunch of things other than the boiler that could cause a leak thru the boiler. An inspection is in order. I have 50-60 calls per year about a leaking boiler and maybe 2% are actually the boiler. It is very uncommon to see a boiler vs. other components leak. Find a good company to show you where the leak is.

i agree with one man
    you are jumping to gun a little. most leaks come from other things. it would be a good idea to have it check by and servic tech. dont put any thing in it to stop the leak if the bolier is in fact cracked and is still under warrenti by wielmclain the warrenti will be vioded
    wielmclain stands behind thier products as long as out side sorses didnt cause the crack. have it looked at as soon as possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast