i'm currently in the process of getting bids for installation of a central air system into our home. i've contacted 3 companies and each carry a different brand. the brands, as listed in the subject line, are Carrier, Bryant and Trane.

as to your experiences, are there any reliability issues with any of these brands. granted a big part of the equation is proper installation. taking that aside is there a lot of differences between brands?

any suggestions on how i could evaluate one vs the other besides price?

the Carrier dealer mentioned that Bryant is made by the same company that makes Carrier. he qualified Carrier to be the top line and Bryant the mid line. what's the difference?

i am familiar with the concept of re-badging. essentially the same but slight differences to provide a lower cost. difference might be for example a metal casing vs a plastic casing. of course metal is stronger than plastic but maybe it's not an issue depending on what the actual part is.

i just want the thing to run as efficient and trouble free as much as possible. this is with the understanding that proper maintenance is continually being done on the system to keep things optimally functioning.

ps

we currently have a 12-year old TRANE XE78 gas furnace installed. this will be replaced with something better as part of the new a/c install.

I'm not a fan of some trying to dog another brand,

The carrier guy I my mind would have just have wasted his
    time. To come to my house and say his brand his the mother of another. Like he can't be beat by bryant.

Bryant is a well built unit, as is Carrier.
    In my mind they are the same unit. As long as you compare 90% vs 90%, and 80% vs 80 %.

Trane is something I have not dealt with for over 12 yrs or more.

I'd look at bryant vs trane, just based on the guy who says his co. ownes the other.

That makes me feel like he's trying to hard to get the job,
    If he felt good about his equipment he wouldn't bad mouth another brand.

He would spend his time promoting his own.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

thanks toolpusher.

i'm not a fan of badmouthing competetion brands either.

i was the one who brought up the subject. i asked him what the difference was between Carrier and Bryant since somewhere i read some reference that they were made by the same company. his answer to my question was that they were both made by the same company which actually has 3 brands. Pane (not sure if this is the right spelling), Bryant and Carrier where Pane is for builders, Bryant the mid-line and Carrier the top-line. he didn't dwell on it.

since we currently have TRANE i'm aware of the brand. i've heard of Carrier before but i haven't heard of Bryant. since this will be my first central a/c unit, i don't have any pre-conceived notions about any of the brands.

i'm glad to hear that Bryant is a good option. the place that we use to currently do the every 2-year maintenance on our furnace carry Bryant. my appointment with them is next week. looking forward to that.

Bryant can match Carrier tit for tat.

No difference in them.
    Any part of the carrier 90 will fit on the bryant 90.
    I like braynt more just because I've worked more with them.

But If my eyes were cloed I'd never know the difference.

Don't let me control your final answere, check them all and go with your gut.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Smile

bryant is the mid line payne the builder or low end and carrier the top shelf product... now is there a difference not really like am std and trane. i'm the sure the price will be about the same between bryant and carrier. either one is a good choice again go with the company you're comfortable with.

Bryant & Carrier indoor stuff is identical but Carrier gets the Silencer System top on the higher end outdoor units where Bryant has the generic raised fan grille. That may be what he's referring to. Mechanically they are the same.

thank you all for your answers. it's a great help for me. i'm so glad i found this site.

Originally posted by mudbog
    thank you all for your answers. it's a great help for me. i'm so glad i found this site.
    Us too.
    We have sold both lines I think the main difference in the equipment is color. Carrier does have a nicer top as was stated in a previus thread. You probably heard of Carrier because money they spend on advertisement.

If you go Bryant go Evolution.

In the end do yourself a favor choose the company not the equipment.

They are all good equipement.

Just as long the dealer sized the system right!!! And does a good job on the install.

Oh, please!!!

Bryant & Carrier - absolutely no difference! They are made by the same co., & both brands' upper tier systems are just as quiet as the other. In fact, even the C/U's have similarities. I agree, the condenser motor grilles do differ as does the paint color, but that's about it. The guy that told you that Carrier is the premier brand & Bryant is the mid-grade was either lying to you or truly doesn't know the difference. Either way, does that make you comfortable enough to go with him over the Bryant dealer? If it was me I'd say no!