Hybrid View

Hi,

58MVP040F114 w/infinity controller and 38TDB024 outdoor unit

This system was installed new in March 2004, and has had a persistent code 42 ever since. By persistent, I mean it throws a code 42 pretty much every time the heat comes on. The heat works properly otherwise, and the inducer motor does come on.

My installer has been very apprehensive about troubleshooting this thing from the start, and was pretty fond of just clearing the code to see if it came back, which it always did. He was out here again just today, which happens to be the last day of my 1-year p&l warranty, and he did manage to look a little deeper this time, but it has become fairly obvious that he has absolutely no idea how to troubleshoot the problem. I asked him why he doesn't just use the troubleshooting flowchart as found in the troubleshooting guide, to which he responded that the guide wouldn't apply to my system since it uses the infinity controller rather than a standard thermostat. So, he ended up disconnecting the combustion air inlet from the PVC so that it's now drawing crawl space air - the idea being to check for an inlet air restriction - and told me to call him if the code reappeared. It did, about an hour later.

I guess my questions at this point are, does anyone know where I can find the proper troubleshooting guide for the 58MVP/Infinity Controller combination that I can give to him? I know it's ridiculous, but if I hand it to him, he can't say it doesn't exist. I currently have the 58MVP-10sm guide.

The other question, has anyone run into a recurring code 42 on the 58MVP? If so, are there any common failures related to this code that he needs to be looking for, particularly if he refuses to follow established troubleshooting routines?

Thanks,
    -Bob

code 42

you should be able to find inside your owners book a page that list what the codes are and simple ways of fixing. the problem you are having sounds like either your blower r p m is out of range or your inducer if your installer does not want to help contact carrier corp direct. hope this helps?

42 fault is an inducer outisde of valid speed range. The MVP troubleshooting guide (170/180 series) is all he needs. Does NOT matter if the Infinity is hooked to it for troubleshooting the inducer.

Keep in mind faults are recorded by the furnace board and read by the Infinity, the Infinity didnt see the fault...just read it from the furnace board.

I will also add 42 faults can be tricky. One thing guys dont realize is pressure switch issues will cause the inducer to go out of range...could be a pressure switch problem. Or a drainage problem...

Tell him to follow the guide provided, it's all he really needs...

Are there any other faults recorded?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

bad idea - disconnecting PVC air inlet

First of all, I'm a homeowner not a pro.

A certain amount of resistance is expected in the PVC pipe inlet, and the inducer fan is adjusting its speed according to this, so:
    - piping should be right size (varies accoriding to distance, altitude, and furnace size as specified in the installation manual tables)
    - check for the "perforated disk" on the air inlet at the combustion chamber air inlet, which should be installed in most cases

Neither of the above are likely candidates for the 42 fault, but I wanted to mention it.

For your own info, download a trouble shooting guide (check your furnace series number to see which one is applicable). It's not a do-it-yourself repair or diagnosis suggestion - just helps to know as much as possible.

Here's a pointer (main website is http://www.commercial.carrier.com - select the literature link)
    http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58mvp-8sm.pdf