Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Single Air Return in Hallway. Should I add more?

I purchased a home that currently has a single air return in the hallway. My master bedroom is on the other side of the house and is frequently 3-4 degrees warmer or cooler than the rest of the house. I was debating adding a second return vent in the master bedroom. Would this help my problem? If so, would I need to be concerned about creating a negative pressure? I plan to leave my existing hallway return in place and just add a duct for the bedroom.

From my limited knowledge, a system will never lose function for adding return air, you can't ever have too much.

I have personally added dozens of single duct return add ons, in main rooms and master bedrooms, wherever it was a few degrees warmer. Yes, your room should by all accounts be cooler without needing to worry about any negative pressure. All have done what they were intended to do, remove heat.

kenney t Guest
    the more return you put spread around the dwelling the more even and comfy temps will be.there no such thing as too much return. the more the better.

Do I need to worry about creating a negative pressure by adding one?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by kone001 View Post
    I purchased a home that currently has a single air return in the hallway. My master bedroom is on the other side of the house and is frequently 3-4 degrees warmer or cooler than the rest of the house. I was debating adding a second return vent in the master bedroom. Would this help my problem? If so, would I need to be concerned about creating a negative pressure? I plan to leave my existing hallway return in place and just add a duct for the bedroom.
    I hope you are not planning on doing this yourself but rather that you contact a residential hvac contracting company to officially think this project through.

Some things you might want to think about so you can voice your concerns WITH a company you contract for this job, would be existing supply vent placements (along with where the best possible location for this new return) in this master bedroom, their correlation to the *incoming heat load, and the vent (veins on the grills) direction from now both parties, supply and return, also in direct correlation to the incoming and now outgoing heat load.

*window(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    I hope you are not planning on doing this yourself but rather that you contact a residential hvac contracting company to officially think this project through.

Some things you might want to think about so you can voice your concerns WITH a company you contract for this job, would be existing supply vent placements (along with where the best possible location for this new return) in this master bedroom, their correlation to the *incoming heat load, and the vent (veins on the grills) direction from now both parties, supply and return, also in direct correlation to the incoming and now outgoing heat load.

*window(s)
    I agree with him and it most likely wont be that expensive of a job and it will all be size correctly etc.

What fun would it be if everyone agreed?
    I'll bet a dollar to a donut that if you leave that bedroom door open there would still be a temp difference!!!!!!
    Adding another return that probably has more resistance than the others IS NOT GOING TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM!!!!
    If the open door does solve your problem then creat a transfer duct with ONE stud space with a high grill on one side and a low grill on the other.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kone001 View Post
    If a room is 3-4 degrees cooler or warmer, you need more supply air. Nothing wrong with adding a return, and it would be a good idea if there is not a "path" for the existing supply air in the room to get back to the return. Id be surprised if the added return would solve your problem, but I know more supply air would.

Another really good thing about a return is now air will be circulating in this master bedroom. Can't beat that.

Would I have to think that only a return air would work? No, I know it does. Placement alone will definitely work as when you take away a part of a heat load's full capacity by placing a return air near the heat load's point of entry, the existing supply can now do a much, much better job of manhandling this mini me version of what was once a bigger problem.

The focus is on removing some of the heat load with the addition of a return. The added benefit is the air is recycling, fresh, clean.

On the current thread to the Administrator it was said that pros here usually agree with one another. On this subject they are all over the map. How can so many pros have gained experience that point in so many different directions? With hardware there is a right and wrong way. With airflow it all seems to be subjective.

For the vote count, I agree with Roadhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    On the current thread to the Administrator it was said that pros here usually agree with one another. On this subject they are all over the map. How can so many pros have gained experience that point in so many different directions? With hardware there is a right and wrong way. With airflow it all seems to be subjective.

Staying current, or lack thereof on the science of it all is probably the big reason for the conflicts of opinion. I know you don't like "preaching from another mans Bible" Brian, but this article is from a guy named Armin Rudd. Google his credentials. I feel comfortable with learning from such a person.

http://www.bestofbuildingscience.com...r%20grills.pdf
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post

Riddle me this. In the winter would it work better to add a return to the ceiling, or close the undercut door?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast